Hamer Fan Club Message Center

First gig with my Pedal Steel

Camstone

So exactly two months ago, I bought a 1976 Sho-bud D10 pedal steel and set a goal to play it at a winery gig on August 17th (yesterday). Well it happened. Kinda scary. I guess I could equate it to setting a two month goal to do a show playing guitar left handed. I just played one tune and would give myself a B-. Tough part was the 16 bar solo. The crowd dug it.

The venue, Benson Vineyards in Manson, Wa. 

20181006_132313 (1024x768).jpg

My Sho-bud 

20190817_134707 (768x1024).jpg

The rest of my quiver for the gig. Hamer Newport, Duesenberg Duocat 12, Gibson R8 and the Nash S63 that just showed up on Thursday. The Nash is cool. Has a big neck on it and Lollars.

20190817_134656 (768x1024).jpg

2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

That setting looks so beautiful that you ought to want to play there as often as possible.  Book a luau gig there with that pedal steel.  Then do a square dance.  Start a Robert Randolph tribute band. 

Yeah it's one of my favorite venues. The way they designed the roof / ceiling over the stage reflects the sound down like a parabolic arch. Not only beautiful, but it sounds killer on the stage.  Usually only get to play there once a year but I am playing there again next month with a different group of guys.

The lake in the background is Lake Chelan, 55 miles long and 1400 feet deep. Water is as clear a drinking water. Big time playground for rich Seattle folk (three hours away).

Way to go! Ive played several lap steel gigs but only one pedal, a Garth Brooks Alan Jackson tribute. Ive always said it feels like being the passanger who has to land the plane

2 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Cool!

Whats your setup - E9 and C6?

Yes, I have not messed around with the C6 neck yet.

The E9 neck has three pedals and five knee levers and the C6 neck has five pedals and no knee levers. I guess that's a pretty standard set up.

Over the last two months, I have made an effort to play it every day. It's set up in my music room plugged in and ready to go.

To learn the one tune that I performed on Saturday, I recorded the rhythm track on my looper and just played over and over and ........ voila, it worked. I looped it at a slightly faster tempo than we play it live so that it felt easier on stage. Also the steel finger picks felt so foreign that I am just using a thumb pick and my fingernails (which I keep longer and manicured on my right hand). It was a lot easier.

Now to set new goal and learn a few more tunes on it. I am not in any country bands so, I am going more for the feel that Skunk Baxter with Steely Dan or Ben Keith with Neil Young had.

I am for sure still a raw novice, but man does it sound cool. Give a listen to what it adds to this track: 

Lovely venue, and good on ya for trying something new. It's hard jump instruments that far out of your comfort zone.

I was just thinking how damned old and crochety I've gotten, though. First thing that came to mind was "Damn, that's a lot of stuff to haul to a gig."

Archived