Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Silverface Princeton Reverb Head

Seems a little spendy for just a head unless it has been recently capped and tubed, but these are fun and very useful  amps. I actually like the cathodyne PI better than the long tail in the Deluxe Reverb.

My biggest beef with princetons has always been the 10" speaker. This means you get to choose your own cab.

I did a similar thing with a Vibro Champ.  Head shell built by David Allen.  I ran it through a 1 X 12 cab and it was a hoot.  The cab is used for something else now and I'm returning the Champ to stock with the exception of an upgraded speaker.

VC1.jpg

Okay, so I played through it with this Strat. The only cab available was 16 ohm.

All the sounds are there. Sweet. Sparkly. Reverb works. Not an RCA plug to be had, so vibrato not evaluated

There is a low persistent hum that does not change in volume when it warms up. Not really all that noticeable.

Single coils in a room full of fluorescents is noisy, but it cleans up well in positions 2 and 4.

If I had to guess, it has had at least a cap job, maybe also the power resistors because hiss is low.

Power tubes are EHX. V2 was accessible to my fat fingers and is a Sovtek.

The output transformer has a winged "M" stamped on it. Couldn't read the codes in the light.

"The guy who knows about this is off today." They have my number with a list of questions.

THE GUY WHO KNOWS ABOUT THE AMP AND ALSO OWNS A '68 SEZ:

Serial Number A23... makes this a 1969 Silverface B1270. (A255....was the last in that year group.)

GZ34 rectifier. "The Mallory can cap is an indication that a cap job was done. Just like mine."

The tube chart is scraped up like it was shoved when they amputated the cabinet. Nice work though.

Still awaiting contact with owner to verify what we know.

OK then...

GUY WHO OWNS THE AMP VIA THE GUY AT THE STORE THAT KNOWS ABOUT THE AMP SEZ:

He bought it that way in 2005, white power cord and everything. He doesn't know anything else about it. Worked fine for him. Price is firm.

----------------

I'm done here. Offer still stands to help with shipping. Store does not ship consignments.

Jim

Archived