Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eric Otten

SueN

Hi, I know Eric communicated with a lot of you on this site and enjoyed it very much.  I wanted to let you know that Eric passed away last Wednesday.  You all kept him very entertained for many years, especially during his illness.  Should you need to contact me, please email me at [email protected]

Thank you,

SueN

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for letting us know, Sue. It is greatly appreciated.

Eric was an amazing, left-of-center guy. When he posted pictures of his stitches after his brain surgery, I told him his head looked like a baseball and it was on from there. There was no jab or barb we wouldn't inflict on one another, and the Wisconsin/Illionoise rivalry was always on the table. We had countless PMs and/or emails back and forth about gear or sports or Madison (he went to the UW here) and he always had the funniest stories - some of them hilariously out there - and never, ever failed to make me laugh. His perspective on the world was unique. I don't know if it was from the brain work or from living in flatland, but he could drive a nail from faaaaar left field with such effortlessness it was profound, scary and dead-on all at once.

He had a love of golf and the movie Caddyshack. He will always be Noonan to me. I will forever kick myself for never meeting him in the flesh, as dangerous as that could have been. He will always be my friend, and I will always miss him.

Rest easy, Noonan. We'll carry the bag from here.

Wow - he'll really be missed around here...and everywhere.  A great guy to chat with, and we certainly had many of those offline over the years.  Definitely a character, and one of the most memorable people to spend time in this little corner of the virtual world.

E.O., Caddie...rest in peace, bruddah.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'm grateful that I had the chance to spend time with Caddie, and I'm honored that he made the effort to visit our tiny little corner of the world at the 4-3-2-1 Club in Minneapolis. Rest in peace.

Carl: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas.
Angie: A looper?
Carl: A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Let's hope so.

Wow, so sorry to hear this.

My condolences to Caddies loved ones, family and friends.   He will be very much missed on this board.

Brian

Archived