Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eric Otten

SueN

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had so many terrific conversations with the man.    Late night, thoughtful talks about just about everything.   

I did several repairs for him and valued him as a friend.

May God Bless his soul.

Caddie took whatever life threw at him (and it threw a LOT at him) with a smile, a wink, a self-deprecating joke and optimistic attitude.  He must have had PM conversations with a hundred different HFCers.

I'm proud to have known him and laughed with him.

Cheers, Caddie!  Cheers!

R.I.P. Eric and condolences to all of your family. We did meet face to face briefly at a rest stop on my way back from Illinois in the middle of the night to do...what else...a guitar deal! Hell of a nice guy and he sure will be missed!

Eric Otten was a remarkable individual who brought joy and laughter to us all. He had an extraordinary sense of humor, wit that could come across at any time, as cantankerous and grumpy, self deprecating, silly, neurotic, sarcastic, risqué, facetious, profound, and sometimes all at the same time! His banter was priceless, and would present unbounded by convention or topic. Everything was fair game and we all came away with a smile on our faces for it. 

The last couple of times that I spoke with him, he was having a very hard time communicating. Not hard enough a time not to tell his nurse to "Leave me the fuck alone damn it! I'm on the phone!" His laughter broke through his words even as he strained to speak them. He found the inner strength to make me laugh, even when he was struggling so much physically. 

I am deeply saddened by Eric's passing, I know however, that he is no longer suffering, and he is, in a better place now. 

...Yes Eric, a better place now. You could be naked hiding inside someone's refrigerator again.

For anyone not familiar, the Evans Scholars Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in Golf, Illinois that provides full tuition and housing college scholarships to golf caddies. Operated by the Western Golf Association, the Evans Scholars Foundation has helped more than 10,600 caddies graduate from college since its creation in 1930.

Oh no!  I go away for a few days and this???  What more can be said?  Peace and comfort to Sue and all his loved ones.  We loved him too.  Toward the end, we had a couple of conversations about his illness and the troubles he had, and it was obvious that it was digging at him but that he was facing it with a grin that said "you can take my body, you can't have my spirit."  In that, he was an enormous positive influence on how I face my own physical troubles and I'll always be grateful for that lesson.  And I'll always giggle snort when I think of him.  There aren't many folks who can be that fully human and that damn funny at the same time.  RIP, Noonan.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, cynic said:

For anyone not familiar, the Evans Scholars Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in Golf, Illinois that provides full tuition and housing college scholarships to golf caddies. Operated by the Western Golf Association, the Evans Scholars Foundation has helped more than 10,600 caddies graduate from college since its creation in 1930.

Seconded and contributed.

Through Mrs. Toadroller, many years ago, we had dinner with her co-worker, whose husband had been an early Evans Scholar recipient (1940s?) and who had carried for a pro on the younger, smaller, post-war PGA tour (everything was black and white film in those days) whose name escapes me but was recognizable to me at the time.  My eldest, at the time a precocious 4-year-old golfer, was enthralled by those stories and eventually did some good caddying of his own.

Cheers, Caddie!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I’m very late seeing this. I loved Caddie. Many non-sensical pms from each of us back and forth over the years. His sense of humour was in a weird league of my own. RIP good sir!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived