Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2011 Hamer Xt

Welcome! I have more experiance with the import models just before the XT versions. My stand is that the Korean line of Hamer imports for the most part are great bang for the bucks spent. Play it and switch pickups rotate all the pots and get a good feel of that one. If it feels good and the money feels right grab it up. Comparable guitars are the Korean made Deans.

The XT's are OK for what they are if bought used at a fair price, but there's solid reasons why you won't hear a lot of praise for them. A used Hamer USA model is almost always gonna blow away the XT equivalent in terms of tone and playability and be much easier to move at a value close to/greater than what you paid for it if well bought.

At BTMN already stated and others here will generally attest to, the Korean built models were of better quality and represent perhaps a better value proposition than the later XT line. My advice is always gonna be to pay a little more to get a lot more and invest in a USA model.

I have an XT from around 2004/5.  Nice enough guitar.  Replaced the pickups and tuners and that made an improvement.  Not a bad guitar but I wouldn't spend too much on one.

3 minutes ago, bigolsparky said:

And that price should come down. 

...and the seller thinks the body is maple, which I don't believe is correct.

With a Hamer HSC and a set of Rios, that's not a bad deal, especially if you can bargain down that price.

9 minutes ago, kizanski said:

...and the seller thinks the body is maple, which I don't believe is correct.

With a Hamer HSC and a set of Rios, that's not a bad deal, especially if you can bargain down that price.

Looks a lot like mine, but with the  generally-correct headstock shape.

Kiz, I have no idea what the wood species is, but I suspect that it's an Asian species with qualities similar to maple. Very dense. Lightweight, it ain't. 

If you can snag it for $450, then you'd have an okay deal. The case is worth something and the Rios are a nice bonus.

Archived