Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Banned at TGP

Dasein

OK now I’m getting worried. It’s been seven days - it’s August 28 - I’m supposed to be back in the good books and good graces of the TGP moderation team otherwise known as the Guitar playing collective of the AARP. I sat at home and played rocking in the free world, and drop the needle, and that my my hair hey whatever song, and still nothing. I even yelled at some kids as I drove by a bus stop. What’s a guy to do?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: I’m back at TGP and it looks like Big Mike himself laid down the van hammer.... no warnings - had no alerts or strikes or points against me —- just the ban hammer of gloom and rejection. Here’s the post. It’s biting, it’s true, and was a summary of the actual article under discussion ..... ban!

Neil Young's biggest problem is he's a surly old dick.... he gets testy and is short tempered, and is a moody SOB that's openly hostile to most interviewers. This kind of guy could have the cure to cancer in his back pocket but he ain't gonna be able to sell it let alone give it away just because he's so bloody unpleasant. Old rockers lose currency pretty quickly when they smell like old man and treat people like ****. Love his music - love his artistry - but hate the walking on eggshells people are forced to do around him. Gracious is not a word you'd equate with Neil.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:30 AM, zenmindbeginner said:

I think it matters what specific forum the problem occurs within. The Sound Lounge and the Pub are where everyone gets in the most trouble. I got into a pretty heated argument in the Recording/Live Sound forum just a week or so ago and didn’t get in trouble outside of a warning, posts removed but no “points”.

Narcissists abound in TGP. Great place to buy used gear though... vintage pedals go for the cheapest prices on ththe internet there. So many boutique cork sniffers that the vintage gear has to be priced at market value and not a penny more.

Also the best place to buy used boutique gear. Most members know the exact value of everything so it usually keeps the prices honest... I basically wouldn’t have a pedalboard if it wasn’t for TGP. I certainly would have never heard about the Zen Drive or about Warm Audio.

Super information but not a friendly place... mostly just wankers, wannabes & blues lawyers.

This is so spot-on.  Every time I find myself reading some thread and thinking "what the hell is happening?", I look down and see it's the Sound Hound Lounge.  I don't even bother with the "Pub".

I know the HFC likes to bash that place, but I learned a ton about different kinds of effects (e.g. the evolution of delay pedal designs, the kinds of tremolo) and amps.  I tend to spend 99% of my time in one of Guitars, Effects, Amps, or Digital and Modeling.  It's usually worth the visit.

YMMV, of course.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:30 AM, zenmindbeginner said:

Super information but not a friendly place... mostly just wankers, wannabes & blues lawyers.

The bolded part of this quote calls into question the "super information" part. The signal-to-noise ratio there is out of whack; info from people who actually know what they're talking about is often (if not always) buried beneath an avalanche of garbage from the wankers, wannabes and blues lawyers who simply parrot all the trite talking points, have no practical experience, and can't play their way out of a paper bag (skills of a toddler and all that).

The Playing and Technique section is pretty cool. Some knowledgeable folks there. (even they get into arguments though, nothing like a fight over the proper way to name a chord, ha!)

I also like the effects section. Lots of people to ignore, but it's cool to learn about how other people use their effects. I find the Sound Lounge is the worst, a lot of threads there go downhill quite quickly.

11 hours ago, MCChris said:

The bolded part of this quote calls into question the "super information" part. The signal-to-noise ratio there is out of whack; info from people who actually know what they're talking about is often (if not always) buried beneath an avalanche of garbage from the wankers, wannabes and blues lawyers who simply parrot all the trite talking points, have no practical experience, and can't play their way out of a paper bag (skills of a toddler and all that).

Yep.

And I don't need a $1,500 extra titanium and sharkskin power cable to tell me that.

On 8/29/2019 at 2:21 AM, Dasein said:

Update: I’m back at TGP and it looks like Big Mike himself laid down the van hammer.... no warnings - had no alerts or strikes or points against me —- just the ban hammer of gloom and rejection. Here’s the post. It’s biting, it’s true, and was a summary of the actual article under discussion ..... ban!

I’m be giving you upvotes for splendid use of ‘bloody’.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:04 PM, burningyen said:

I'm betting it was the Neil Young content, lol.

I've had good dealings with Big Mike. I suspect that anyone moderating a forum of 181k members will eventually throw up their hands and default to "Fuck it, ban."

I've gotten some great info from TGP over the years. There are still contributors like David Torn, Pete Thorn, Johnny A, Steve Kimock, Aram Bajakian, John Suhr, Terry McInturff, Ron Thorn, Walter Wright, Cliff Chase, Christoph Kemper, and the Line 6 guys, but yeah, it isn't what it once was. No more Elliot Easton, James Wilsey, Dave Kilminster, James Valentine, Tomo Fujita, David Collins, ....

Anyone could have guessed that Joe Bonamassa was on TGP, but interesting that he finally just outed himself as “Nerdville Guy”:

Echopark can’t sue me for speaking the truth. I pulled it down because my goal was to prove a point and not ruin a business.  Couple clarification notes:  After putting some money into the Echopark V I sold it and netted 8k not 13k. The guitar to my knowledge has changed hands several times. The finish issues are very apparent to anyone who plays it. It’s not detrimental to the guitar as an instrument but not the way it came. Gabriel did himself in with me when he acted like his Amos clones were completely a coincidental and that he had all the right to do them. I’ve looked the other way for 2 years because he is a mom and pop shop and I frankly don’t care about that kind of stuff. It’s all Gibson but that pickguard Combo started coming out of that shop after he built my guitar and the other clone ( not authorized) that went to a great guy named Charlie Starr. He really poked the bear when he posted a picture of my Epiphone and his POS insinuating his was real and the Epiphone was some sort of Chinese fake. Let them eat cake huh? We will see.
Cheers guys and PS I enjoy the forum .. most of the times
Joe B

1 hour ago, Devnor said:

Nice posts from JB.  I enjoyed his reply on page 84 when a TGPer takes him to tasks over internet posts.  We've all been there.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/my-echopark-guitars-nightmare.2042711/page-84

85 pages of that horseshit? No thanks...

I did read the last two. I can’t see why anyone would spend their waking hours on TGP besides the FS section. 

• 3 weeks later...

Buncha amateurs.  This is how it's done.
I'd provide a link, but... you know...

You have received a warning from the Staff

Kizanski, 48 minutes ago, you were given the following warning: Inappropriate Behavior

This warning has been given to you for violating the rules of The Gear Page.

The consequences of this warning are:
  • You have received 3 infraction points.

• Your account has not otherwise been restricted.

Oh, and my "account has not otherwise been restricted," except for...

The Gear Page - Error

LOL!

18 hours ago, kizanski said:

Buncha amateurs.  This is how it's done.
I'd provide a link, but... you know...

You have received a warning from the Staff

Kizanski, 48 minutes ago, you were given the following warning: Inappropriate Behavior

This warning has been given to you for violating the rules of The Gear Page.

The consequences of this warning are:
  • You have received 3 infraction points.

• Your account has not otherwise been restricted.

Oh, and my "account has not otherwise been restricted," except for...

The Gear Page - Error

You have been banned for the following reason: Rules violations Your ban will be lifted on Sep 23, 2019.

LOL!

I'm guessing you deserved it...

Archived