Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Final Mixes: Ten Years Gone w/vocals.

Dasein

I’ve posted earlier versions of this. This one has the Hamer Cali in quite a few places. Got a vocalist off Reddit - he had some tuning issues but also had that syrupy Plant vocal quality that seemed to fit pretty well. Just wrapping up the final mixes now so I think the recording part is done - just mixing left.

outside of the originals I’m working on, I use these covers to teach me how to record and engineer/mix. What I learn here I apply to my own stuff.

Next N4N Zeppelin cover will be Kashmir &/or Down By the Seaside....

I really like that it’s not squished to death. Still has dynamics! Todays music is so smashed in the final stages it loses all the dynamics. Really great Zep copy!! Maybe you should start a tribute band!!

56 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I really like that it’s not squished to death. Still has dynamics! Todays music is so smashed in the final stages it loses all the dynamics. Really great Zep copy!! Maybe you should start a tribute band!!

Thanks Dutch. I appreciate the support. I don’t know if I’ll ever step on a stage to play these but I sure do learn a lot about recording and production when I take them on.

Excellent, very impressive.  I thought you got the Zeppelin drum sound nicely.  I live just a few miles down the road from Robert Plant's old place, Bron-y-Aur in Wales, fwiw. Never been there though.

Thanks guys. This one only took about 18 months (there was a long period of not working on it while I was dealing with some hand/nerve issues).

I really want to do Down By The Seaside next because there are so many different instruments playing (plus I might be able to sing it too). I've been playing with the idea of Kashmir but it doesn't excite me as much...

4 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Holy cow, that was perfect. My wife came in here for another reason and I told her this was a cover. She thought it was the original. 

Thanks Man - that's so cool to hear. really appreciate the feedback.

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Dude, you rock... & I love the images in the video... Bravo well done!

Thanks Dave. I always make sure any images I use on the website or in the videos come with a creative commons license so I spend some time on Flickr looking for appropriate images that are available to use - there are some great photographers out there so the credit goes to them for sure.

3 hours ago, cynic said:

I really enjoy these.  As spot on as they are, I always hear them differently and find little things standing out that didn't in the originals.

Thanks Cynic -- when I dig into these to learn them there are those surprises in the mix for me too - little guitar parts you never knew where there.... it's those little things that make them so much fun.

So as far as things go -- do you guys think YouTube videos sre a better way to present these things vs soundcloud links??

22 minutes ago, burningyen said:

So good! Quite an accomplishment getting all those pieces together.

Thanks Ben - as I listen over the past couple days I realize I need to warm up the mix slightly - the mix itself was warmer but when I went to pseudo master it got a bit brittle - that plus I need to bring out the vocals slightly more in some areas and that electric sitar part as well... plus I used maybe a bit too much reverb - I like it but it might need to be a hair dryer.

5 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Fucking terrific accomplishment! As enjoyable as it is impressive. One of the best Zep songs with lots of jazzy feels and beautiful textures which you deftly knocked out of the park!

The phaser was killer! What did you use?

Thanks Geoff -- Everything is amp sims - Guitar Rig 5 Pro (Native Instruments) - a very long in the tooth product at this point considering I've been using it since 2013 - For parts with the phaser, including the solo, I'm playing through a Fender Twin Reverb, with an Ibanez TS-808 tube screamer, a Boss CS-1 stomp compressor/sustainer, and an Electro Harmonix small stone phaser... The main guitar is similarly setup, but without the stomp compressor but with a treble boost modeled after the Dallas Rangemaster. For the electric Sitar part I added a Digitech WH4 Whammy using +/- octaves  I too really like the phaser here - I tried a 90 but this just worked better.

In general I just played around with tones until I felt I had something that was responsive but matched Page's general sound. Because I record this stuff so many times as I dial in the scratch tracks it gives me a real chance to road test the tones while I learn the song and figure out the production. I used every guitar I had so I don't remember what I cut the solo on but I I'm pretty sure it was a single coil pickup because Page actually recorded TYG on a Strat so I probably had that in mind. I think I got lucky in how the guitars and amps came together though -- this one suddenly felt good at some point.

Archived