Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
polara

Digital guys: How do you use your box?

How do you use your modeling gear?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I was just kinda curious, as there are so many ways to use them...

Edited by polara
  • Like 1

It won't let me choose more than 1 option.

For my Radiohead tribute I usually stick to the same amp and cab model (Helix Litigator into a Mesa 1x12), but with wildly different FX paths and settings for each song. So I use at least 1 patch per song. I also route my backing vox, keys and violin through the Helix, all of which have totally different signal paths.

All of that goes into my Atomic CLR (FRFR).

This is what my side of the stage typically looks like:

img_6519-1.jpg

• Like 2

Every way but the first listed. In my experience your asking for trouble switching between a bunch of amps or models. Even the Edge uses one amp for everything

• Like 2

I do both the first two answers.  I do multiple tones, but I have a basic patch with clean, grit and distortion snapshots and some effects I can turn on and off manually. 

Helix into interface or speakers.  No amp. 

Posted (edited)

In the 80’s my entire system was midi. 2 Rocktron effects units and a midi board going into a midi Octopus to do all the amp changes on my Mark llB Boogie. I loved stepping on one button and having everything dialed in for the song, bump it up one digit for the ride and same button to go back. 

My question is is all of this possible along with the amp of choice? Do they sound better running thru a clean tube amp like an old Fender PA Head?

I’m weary of the stomp dance but I’ll never give up the tone that comes out of a awesome tube amp.  So are these units midi? And do they come with great onboard effects? 

School Me!!! I’m a sponge looking for water!!!

Edited by Dutchman

My G-System into a Mesa Lonestar Special is about as transparent, seamless ,simple, and flexible of a setup as I’ve ever had. The TC’s programmable relays switch the channels and solo boost, I can add pedals in three foot-switchable loops, and one programmable one, to any patch in front of the amp, and every effect, including the solo boost, is foot-switchable. You can separate the brains from the footswitches, and keep the brains in two-space soft rack case with a laptop pocket where I keep the pedals. All connections are through a 1m snake to the amp. Once I rolled everything on stage, I was setup in minutes.

I thought I was the shit when I had a Triaxis and G-Force, but this setup smokes it. I can do the same thing with my Mk IV, but I have to use a hum-buster transformer and a midi switcher with it. So much simpler with the LSS, and it’s loud enough to hang with a drummer, or quiet enough @ 5w to play in the basement underneath the sleeping wife. I’d  like to try it with a Stiletto, which has a similar switching system to the LSS. 

It really fulfills the promise of that first GSP-5 I bought. 

• Thanks 1

Can not answer the poll, only use the Axe-FX II XL at home, not live, not for recording.

Gabe 😀

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:57 PM, Dutchman said:

My question is is all of this possible along with the amp of choice?

Do they sound better running thru a clean tube amp like an old Fender PA Head?

So are these units midi?

And do they come with great onboard effects?

Yes.

Opinions differ. If you don’t want to dig into the FRFR (stage monitor) and far-field impulse response rabbit hole then your best bet is to run through a clean (solid state is fine) power amp into a cab. I love the sound I get running into FRFR, which also gives me a more accurate sense of what my audience is hearing through the PA, but many can’t get it to work for them and resort to real cabs.

Yes.

Yes. I had a killer board with D*A*M, Skreddy, Hartman, Retro-Sonic, Barber, Voodoo Lab, etc. and don’t miss it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, burningyen said:

Yes.

Opinions differ. If you don’t want to dig into the FRFR (stage monitor) and far-field impulse response rabbit hole then your best bet is to run through a clean (solid state is fine) power amp into a cab. I love the sound I get running into FRFR, which also gives me a more accurate sense of what my audience is hearing through the PA, but many can’t get it to work for them and resort to real cabs.

Yes.

Yes. I had a killer board with D*A*M, Skreddy, Hartman, Retro-Sonic, Barber, Voodoo Lab, etc. and don’t miss it.

+1. I think Ben's suggestion is probably spot-on, if you want the versatility of digital modeling, but the same "Amp is loud behind me from a guitar cab" feel. In my case, it was more about portability, volume control, and consistency than being about lots of effects or amps. Took a few weeks to adjust to my sound coming at me from wedges, mixed with other instruments: not better or worse than my old all-analog setup, but sounds weird for a while.

Now that I've adjusted, I like going from my Fractal into our PA for rehearsal. Live, assuming the venue has good monitors, I just run out of the Fractal into the house system. Since we don't have a live drummer, we are a 100% silent stage. That means we run everything into the snake, and the sound engineer gives the same mix to FOH and monitors, exactly as s/he wants to suit the room. Gives us super-fast setups and people comment on the overall sound: a win-win.

It's never perfect, but I've never had the same sound on stage as in rehearsals or recordings. That's just the nature of different rooms, days, PAs. No worse than the variability I had when I used amps on stage.

Edited by polara
  • Thanks 1

Live tube amps....recording is usually the same, but I often record bass with  Amplitudes’ Ampeg models and that sounds wonderful.That is rare though. I usually go direct through a Sansamp or mic a bass cab.  I do want to try the Amplitube guitar models just for fun.

I use the Headrush Pedalboard and program it using about three different amps (Fender Deluxe, Bogner Blue Channel, and Boogie IIC).  I also use a Lovepedal Purple Plexi as one of my stompboxes through the loop for "Plexi" sounds.  The chain of effects, amp and IRs can be easily changed and the differences in the order are very "natural" for the lack of a better term.  I use a Headrush FRFR12 in front as a monitor and a Line 6 Powered Cab on the back line.  The Line 6 has built in IR's (speaker and mic simulations) which allows me to dial in the room we're playing.  At the last gig, the room was very live and the FRFR monitor was really crisp, so I used the Celestion Creamback setting on the Line 6 cab and it really warmed things up.  I love this rig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1