Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody Used 'Ubuntu Studio'?

Mr. Dave

Hi,

As per the title I'm looking for comments/critiques/users personal experiences or general advice regarding this Operating System with added recording and sound tools.  I'm going to be giving Windows the old heave-ho in January when micro$oft will cease to create any more security update patches for Windows 7.  I have some experience with Linux, I can't stand Windows 10 and can't help thinking it's a great big over-bloated piece of crappy spyware.    As someone very succinctly put it about someone else in another recent thread, until quite recently and for a whole bunch of reasons I had lost my 'Ikigai' (nice word for something  horrible)  now that I feel it is returning I'm going to put start putting together a modest home studio.  As well as having my Chaparral repaired I'm getting a custom build done and then I'm going to be looking at how much I involve a computer in the recording process and the general balance of analogue to digital gear that I use.  If Ubuntu Studio turns out to be good it could potentially save a fair bit of money so keeping my fingers crossed about it.

Although I’m an IT expert, the days of ‘need to know any tool’ are long gone. For me it turned the opposite way. For many years, I have tried to overcome Windows with Linux. It never worked out satisfying. Ending up, returning to Windows all and again. Windows 10 sure turned the spyware route to some extend. However, I think they are not better nor worse than any other platform nowadays. There are a lot of features you can turn of to minimize the spy level. Done that, it’s pretty much the same as Windows 7, but faster.

I'm still running Win8. I have a little program that intercepts Win10 attempts at updating, even notifying me. GWX Control Panel.

I installed a rider in the software that brings up Classic Windows Windows rather than the graphic desktop crapola. Classic Shell is the name.

I'm sorry. Years exposed to the Apple operating system in business cured me of Apple Infatuation Disease. I feel more for Banjos thrown off of a roof in Lemoyne, PA than I do anything from Messrs. Jobs and Wozniak.

4 hours ago, gorch said:

There are a lot of features you can turn of to minimize the spy level. Done that, it’s pretty much the same as Windows 7, but faster.

Never heard of Windows 10 being faster than Windows 7 but sure hope it's true!

I am nearly a total newbie to Windows 10 except for a laptop that I don't use often. I installed the latest version (forgot if they call it a rollup or something else these days) that is supposed to give users more control but haven't played with it much. Do you have a list of features to turn off or a website that offers help?

OK, here's my 2 cents worth. I don't care at all for Crapple and while Linux in it's various distributions is a nice toy to play around it cannot substitute for Windows. Like Gorch said there are many features that can be disabled in Win 10 for it to be less of a spy tool. I use Cubase for a recording software and do not plan to upgrade the OS on that PC right away when the support stops. But this is a seperate recording PC apart from my "work horse" and will be taken off the internet then. If ever I need to install or license a new plugin I will use the offline method. I will also wait with the upgrade on that machine until all the bugs between Win 10 and my Version of Cubase are solved.

HRR

11 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

Never heard of Windows 10 being faster than Windows 7 but sure hope it's true!

I am nearly a total newbie to Windows 10 except for a laptop that I don't use often. I installed the latest version (forgot if they call it a rollup or something else these days) that is supposed to give users more control but haven't played with it much. Do you have a list of features to turn off or a website that offers help?

Well it is faster if you use a SSD hard drive and at least 8 meg of RAM😀. I do have a work sheet from work that tells you how to turn off the various features but unfortunately it's in German language. I am sure there'S someone here how has a similar work sheet in English.

HRR

I've tried various Linux flavors over the years in hopes that they would make it user friendly.  It's been slow improvements over a very long time.  If you like and are comfortable with using the command line, then have at it.  If you don't want to deal with that, then I'd say go for something you know already.  Don't forget to place a value on your time  as well. 

If you're just looking to record, I'd look at some of the standalone recorders from Zoom and Tascam.  Then you don't have to deal with any of that, but can transfer stuff to your computer if you want.  May not be what you're looking for, but just tossing that out there.  

On 8/23/2019 at 3:41 AM, Mr. Dave said:

Hi,

As per the title I'm looking for comments/critiques/users personal experiences or general advice regarding this Operating System with added recording and sound tools.  I'm going to be giving Windows the old heave-ho in January when micro$oft will cease to create any more security update patches for Windows 7.  I have some experience with Linux, I can't stand Windows 10 and can't help thinking it's a great big over-bloated piece of crappy spyware.    As someone very succinctly put it about someone else in another recent thread, until quite recently and for a whole bunch of reasons I had lost my 'Ikigai' (nice word for something  horrible)  now that I feel it is returning I'm going to put start putting together a modest home studio.  As well as having my Chaparral repaired I'm getting a custom build done and then I'm going to be looking at how much I involve a computer in the recording process and the general balance of analogue to digital gear that I use.  If Ubuntu Studio turns out to be good it could potentially save a fair bit of money so keeping my fingers crossed about it.

Just take  that Computer off the internet and keep it to record with.   Get something else for web or anything that requires internet such as a linux build.

As are my impressions, Windows nowadays is nothing more or less a spy tool than any other main stream OS. Whether I like it or not.

Archived