Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 2013 PRS Korina McCarty Brazilian At DGS

Am I the only one who just can’t get on board with gold...?

gold tops, gold hardware, meh. I’m like the anti-goldmember. And I like loose pants, too...

18 minutes ago, cynic said:

Yes.  You're the first person to ever express a negative feeling towards gold hardware.  Seriously.  First.  Ever.

Ok, that made me laugh. Thanks for that. 

1 hour ago, Travis said:

gold tops, gold hardware, meh. I’m like the anti-goldmember. And I like loose pants, too...

That gold on gold is kind of overkill. It looks like the bentley a stereotypical Arab oil tycoon might drive in a movie from the 80s.

Mostly, my only gripe about gold hardware is the plating always seems to tarnish quicker than chrome and looks fugly when it does.

9 minutes ago, Moose said:

That gold on gold is kind of overkill. It looks like the bentley a stereotypical Arab oil tycoon might drive in a movie from the 80s

😂😂😂

17 hours ago, Travis said:

No, I dislike gold anything too.

That been said, I had one of those, with a similar weight, but nickel hardware. One of the saddest guitar losses of my life, were it not the case that I traded it for a drum set that allowed me to get into jazz, which was a major motivational buttkick forward in my life, at a very difficult time for me. Still, that guitar was simply heavenly.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:40 PM, Peter Studio Custom said:

Prices at Dave’s are really great.  This sure is so bad for those of us with low self control.  I clicked on the link earlier today and it was available.  So glad it sold as I was thinking of wow I could find money

Told ya hangin out here is dangerous!!

A few years back there where quite a few NOS Brazilian board Korina McCartys from around 2007 kicking around and Dave's comes to mind  as the dealer I remember with them. Priced at around $1.4k if memory serves. Considering what a LP reissue with a Braz board goes for these are a good option for someone who wants to go down a Braz board rabbit hole.

I actually got a nice one here in natural finish and naturally aged hardware . Cool guitars.

The stock McCarty pickups from back then don't get a lot of love on the net but I find they are fine for me on this guitar (although I have toyed with the idea of Bareknuckle Mules and the exchange rate I hear is decent right now) . The neck is nice as well. Mine has the wide fat whatever neck, really not very wide or fat but comfy. Anything smaller I think I'd have an issue with.

9 minutes ago, Hfan said:

A few years back there where quite a few NOS Brazilian board Korina McCartys from around 2007 kicking around and Dave's comes to mind  as the dealer I remember with them. Priced at around $1.4k if memory serves. Considering what a LP reissue with a Braz board goes for these are a good option for someone who wants to go down a Braz board rabbit hole.

I paid a similar price at Wild West Guitars in the early 2000s for a new PRS with Brazilian board.  If it was priced higher than non-bzn guitars it wasn't by more than maybe a hundred bucks.  PRS has since gone the way of Gibson and is charging the premium people seem willing to pay.  

I haven't put a bunch of time or effort into it, but I don't feel/hear/see any difference.

37 minutes ago, cynic said:

I paid a similar price at Wild West Guitars in the early 2000s for a new PRS with Brazilian board.  If it was priced higher than non-bzn guitars it wasn't by more than maybe a hundred bucks.  PRS has since gone the way of Gibson and is charging the premium people seem willing to pay.  

I haven't put a bunch of time or effort into it, but I don't feel/hear/see any difference.

Exactly. It is very nice looking and all but not to knock my socks off or anything or bring down tone from the gods. I bet some of the best Brazilian RW was used up years ago. I see boards on old Fenders that look like a different  level, almost really dark and tight grain.  The LP guys seem to almost double the price for a guitar with a Braz board..crazy to me.

Actually my nicest fret boards are probably boards from my Hamers. My 93 P90 Special may be the nicest of all, very dark chocolate colored, tight grain. And, out of all my guitars,  it had the lowest purchase price (used).

1 hour ago, cynic said:

I haven't put a bunch of time or effort into it, but I don't feel/hear/see any difference

The difference in tone between Brazilian and Indian rosewood is not going to be heard when it is used on that small a portion of the guitar. They’re quite similar tonally speaking. You will however,  hear a difference when the two are used for the back, sides and neck of an acoustic.

59 minutes ago, Hfan said:

The LP guys seem to almost double the price for a guitar with a Braz board..crazy to me.

It is absurd and quite obnoxious. Unless the majority of the guitar is made from Brazilian RW, for that small an amount, such as a fret board, there shouldn’t be more than a hundred dollar premium at best. Heck, the only reason we’ve been seeing Brazilian used for fret boards, pickup rings, tuner buttons and truss rod covers the last twenty or so years,  is because there’s not much left in the way of Brazilian raw material, and what is left is primarily scrap leftovers from larger blanks that were cut for building acoustic bodies and necks. Gotta make money on every last bit, even the scrap. Absolutely offensive doubling the price of a guitar because scrap wood was used.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:25 PM, Moose said:

That gold on gold is kind of overkill. It looks like the bentley a stereotypical Arab oil tycoon might drive in a movie from the 80s.

Mostly, my only gripe about gold hardware is the plating always seems to tarnish quicker than chrome and looks fugly when it does.

Archived