Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
LordsoftheJungle

Pete Townsend Owned Hiwatt Custom 100 Head DR-103

I've been window shopping Hiwatt/Reeves/Hi-tone amps lately and this little number popped up. I'm not big on the whole "celebrity-owned" thing but I have to admit having Pete's Hiwatt would be cool. 😎

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223634830182?ul_noapp=true

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pete was known to be kinda rough on his equipment, wasn't he?  :rolleyes: :lol:  With that in mind, they need to discount it considerably.

Edited by crunchee
  • Haha 4

That amp looks to be in great shape.  How much backline did/does The Who take out on tour? 

• Like 1

My 2 cents:  I see 3 photos and none is the CoA or Pete with the amp. The description is a bit sparse too. Also the seller only has a 90% rating, so I’d be a little wary myself.  

I’ve never been hopped up on a celebrity owned or signature model items so I’m less jazzed up to start with.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I spoke to this guy recently. He has a lot of Pete's gear.

• Like 2

It's amazing at how new and unscuffed everything looks for something that was supposedly authentic tour gear.  I've seen stuff out after a couple of months that looks 20-30 years old.  I guess Pete had the same guys that handle the Stanley Cup working his touring gear...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I’ve met Pete a few time’s before I knew who he was.  His brother was best friends with my best friend at the time’s Dad just when we started playing.

If only I found a way of acquiring some of his gear...

Edited by DBraz
Spelling
  • Like 4

I thought PT used a modified version of the DR 103, Later manufactured as cp103 or some such. They also had “the who” on the panel etc.   might not have had a mid control, and i think 4 vol knobs. So is this one real?  I am skeptical. 

5 hours ago, cmatthes said:

It's amazing at how new and unscuffed everything looks for something that was supposedly authentic tour gear.  I've seen stuff out after a couple of months that looks 20-30 years old.  I guess Pete had the same guys that handle the Stanley Cup working his touring gear...

Or more likely, Pete has a dozen of everything for each tour and they are well cared for.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Celebrity guitars sell for this kind of money, not amps generally.  

Agreed... with the cases 3k would be reasonable. Unless it’s got NOS Mullards in it. Then 4k. I’ve played thru celebrities amps before and I still sounded like shit!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’d have to see who the COA came from, and I’d want to authenticate the COA before dropping that much cabbage into it even if it was from HIWATT or Pete himself (especially if it was from Pete!).

There was a similar (same?) head and cab with stenciled cases sell on Reverb for under $4k.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, cmatthes said:

On 8/24/2019 at 5:33 PM, kizanski said:

Or more likely, Pete has a dozen of everything for each tour and they are well cared for.

It is probably a spare setup that never left the truck "while on tour".  

You get all the prestige of it having been on tour without all the pesky wear from actual usage, win-win.  

• Like 2

I got a "Special Offer" from eBay on that one. 10% off! I'd be happy to pass it along if anyone is interested. :D

eBay7?euid=344241e139284b189e10ac7f6fca75e3&

Because you showed interest in this item, the seller sent you this private offer.

A few other interested buyers also received this offer – it won’t last long. Hurry and take advantage right away!

Offer: $13,500.00
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I was one of the "few" who also received that offer.
I'll be sure take advantage right away!

• Haha 3

Lots of Timothy Keller books and a Marketing Management text.  He must just be praying it sells cause his listing is a shit example of marketing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

UGH. What a crappy listing. Who the heck are the sellers? They honestly think someone with a 90% feedback will be able to sell something like that with zero documentation?

That said, is this a Hiwatt from the glory days, or one made much more recently? Certainly doesn't look to be 70's vintage or anything close.

Edited by tbonesullivan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dataplate says it's a 'DR103 WHO' model, but it also says that it's 'RoHS COMPLIANT, Directive 2005/95/EC', and has a universal symbol for not throwing in the trash, so I suspect it's fairly recent.  The Devil is in the details!

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Dataplate says it's a 'DR103 WHO' model, but it also says that it's 'RoHS COMPLIANT, Directive 2005/95/EC', and has a universal symbol for not throwing in the trash, so I suspect it's fairly recent.  The Devil is in the details!

Good eye there R!

• Like 1

From what I've read these were all 2014 and built specifically for the Long Goodbye.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cynic said:

From what I've read these were all 2014 and built specifically for the Long Goodbye.

And the longest freaking good-bye it has been! They’ve been on a farewell tour since 1982!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, kizanski said:

I spoke to this guy recently. He has a lot of Pete's gear.

he bought my explorer...    nice guy, lives in Brentwood Tennessee,    but then reused my shots without asking, and sold it for $400 more

than he paid...