Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How to Schmooze Good: late Summer 2019 installment (includes archival 1968 photo)

I did a signing yesterday at A Cappella Books in Atlanta for the Atlanta Rhythm Section history.  Blues guitarist and Atlanta native Tinsley Ellis, who's been interviewed in Vintage Guitar Magazine more than once, came out. He'd contributed a lot of eloquent recollections to the book. 

Tinsley's on the Alligator label and like a lot of folks of his ilk, has a disproportionately larger following in Europe compared to here.

We both reminisced about notable Atlanta concerts we'd attended, and I talked about Cream at Chastain Park on 27 OCT 68. I later sent him the Polaroid "Swinger" camera shot I'd taken at that (posted here some time ago), and surprisingly, he responded with one from the same show that was taken by Atlanta music writer Hal Horowitz. 

TInsley's one of the good guys and a fine player. He's quite knowledgeable about music history; he and I would have had a battle royal on an episode of "Rock & Roll Jeopardy"...

TInsley Ellis @ A Cappella Books.jpg
Chastain-Clapton Close up.jpg

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I did a signing yesterday at A Cappella Books in Atlanta for the Atlanta Rhythm Section history.  Blues guitarist and Atlanta native Tinsley Ellis, who's been interviewed in Vintage Guitar Magazine more than once, came out. He'd contributed a lot of eloquent recollections to the book. 

Tinsley's on the Alligator label and like a lot of folks of his ilk, has a disproportionately larger following in Europe compared to here.

We both reminisced about notable Atlanta concerts we'd attended, and I talked about Cream at Chastain Park on 27 OCT 68. I later sent him the Polaroid "Swinger" camera shot I'd taken at that (posted here some time ago), and surprisingly, he responded with one from the same show that was taken by Atlanta music writer Hal Horowitz. 

TInsley's one of the good guys and a fine player. He's quite knowledgeable about music history; he and I would have had a battle royal on an episode of "Rock & Roll Jeopardy"...

Chastain-Clapton Close up.jpg

I really like his “Organic” sound!!! It seem’s to me that he gets what he wants from a guitar plugged straight into a tube amp... old schoolin using the guitar volume and tone to get his tone!!

EC donates huge amounts of money all over the place for musicians especially. Hes paid medical costs for people very much under the radar. Normal players too. I really have come to love the guy in my old age. Also the is the coolest look EC ever achieved, awesome pic

20 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I’m a big Tinsley fan. I discovered him in the early ‘90s. Saw him a couple of times at the Green Parrot in Key West. Great player!

I have been a fan of Tinsley's since Fanning The Flames. I have all of his releases but I have only managed to see him once. He posted the picture you sent him on his Facebook page. 

3 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

More like Gibson needs new revenue...

I was thinking of Clapton's biography. He'd pretty much retired at that point. But in the book he was thinking about one or two last hurrahs because he had discovered how much he loved vacationing on yachts. One more tour and that's it sort of statements, and he did one tour after that.   But then Cream reuinited, and he keeps popping up every year or two -- all I can think is "man, maintaining a yacht is expensive" when I seem him out there again.

Honestly, who thinks of Clapton and a firebird? I think of his 335 from Beano and Cream more, when thinking Gibson,  though he's been all Fender since Layla and it seems strange to start mining his heritage from back in the day when he had good tone now. Gibson must have offered a pretty penny.

I love his look with the bird too and would like to know what Cream cuts he played it on in the studio. I read an interview where he singled out that guitar as on on which he “ad a lot of fun.”

^^^^According to Jackie Lomax, Clapton played the Firebird I thru a small Fender amp in '68 on Lomax's "Sour Milk Sea", written by George Harrison, who reportedly penned it in India while hanging out w/ the Maharishi. One of Apple Records' first releases.

I remember hearing it back then and surmising that might be E.C. on guitar, as there was somewhat of a "woman tone", IMO.

So the tune is now over 50 years old, and it still kicks ass:

Archived