Hamer Fan Club Message Center

4 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I am amazed I missed this band back in the 70s cause it is right up my alley. I LOVE discovering “new” artists that I missed BITD.

Like Nick Drake, Big Star was easy to miss in the 70s. Their legends grew in small circles in the 80's, and eventually their songs found their way into car commercials and sitcom themes.

• Like 1

Nick Drake??? Damnit, another one.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 4:11 PM, polara said:

Saw Chilton play a lounge in Tallahassee in my yoof. He was great, but strangely did a cover of "Goldfinger." Man, I played Third/Sister Lovers until I had that album MEMORIZED.

I saw Alex Chilton do a solo show at The Cotton Club in Atlanta back in either the late 80's or early 90's.  He did not impress me. 

• Like 1

Saw Alex at the Metro/Chicago mid-90s. To say he was a cranky old cuss would be an understatement. When people would shout out requests for Big Star songs, he’d yell back, “NO!!”

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, RobB said:

Saw Alex at the Metro/Chicago mid-90s. To say he was a cranky old cuss would be an understatement. When people would shout out requests for Big Star songs, he’d yell back, “NO!!”

Who did he think he was, Morrissey? 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RobB said:

Alex Chilton himself on the Replacements song that mentioned his name in the title and celebrated his musical legacy:

In a 1987 interview with Buzz magazine, asked how he felt about the song, Alex Chilton said: "Uh well, I didn't feel any way about it. I mean I'm so used to having these kind of fawning, imbecilic fans you know. To have it take on some coherence is refreshing."

He comes off sounding like he is indeed competing with Morrisey for Lifetime Achievement Award in Douchebaggery. Must be a treat to work with.

• Haha 1

What I remember is a guy with a guitar playing to a small audience.  He bummed cigarettes off the audience during the show.  That was his way of engaging the audience that night. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Anyone got some pizza? A coke too please. Diet.

Oh, extra cheese and pepperoni.

Edited by gtrdaddy

I kind of want to start a thread on Angel now, or House of Lords. Any takers?

1 hour ago, gtrdaddy said:

I kind of want to start a thread on Angel now, or House of Lords. Any takers?

No. No takers. 

• Haha 3