Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Is this too much for a Blitz?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hamer Blitz, 3 on a side headstock, with the sustain block fixed bridge.  Guy wants $1045, and then I have to ship it overseas.   It's in pretty good shape given that nitrocellulose tends to disintegrate over time.  But is this too much to pay?  I don't want to feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Overseas shipping can add anywhere from $100 to $400USD depending on origin and destination, so it's tough to figure that in without knowing. 

Over a grand for a Blitz may be the new bar, but for years a Blitz in average condition generally sold for maybe $600-$900 depending on condition.  If it was me and it was exactly what I was looking for, I'd probably buy it for a total of $1050 but if shipping took it much higher I'd opt out. 

There is a lot to unpackage here.

First off, does it have a rosewood fingerboard?  If so, you have CITIES problems.

Assuming not, does your country have VAT or import duties?  If so, have you accounted for those?

Finally, is the seller capable of filling out the necessary paperwork to ensure the guitar gets through customs to you?

Pay with Paypal, via your credit card in the even the answer is no. 

I think its a totally reasonable price, as you rarely see the early, 3 on a side, sustain block Blitz' come up for sale, if at all.  The last one I saw for sale I bought, but that has to be close to ten years ago now.  So, price seems entirely reasonable if in decent shape.

44 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

There is a lot to unpackage here.

First off, does it have a rosewood fingerboard?  If so, you have CITIES problems.

Assuming not, does your country have VAT or import duties?  If so, have you accounted for those?

Finally, is the seller capable of filling out the necessary paperwork to ensure the guitar gets through customs to you?

Pay with Paypal, via your credit card in the even the answer is no. 

I live in the US.  Seller lives in England.  Good point about the rosewood fretboard; looks like it does indeed have rosewood.  Looks like I'll be doing some research.

17 minutes ago, G Man said:

I think its a totally reasonable price, as you rarely see the early, 3 on a side, sustain block Blitz' come up for sale, if at all.  The last one I saw for sale I bought, but that has to be close to ten years ago now.  So, price seems entirely reasonable if in decent shape.

Thanks for the tip.  That's kind of what I was thinking too... the fixed bridge Blitz's are very rare.

Can't really tell by the photo but my educated guess would still be no Brazilian rosewood fretboard on that guitar unless it was a custom order... very nice guitar but I don't think that is a custom order Blitz...fKBlZTm.png

All of the ones that I've seen have been oiled, darkened by age Honduras or Indian Rosewood

Its a a great looking Blitz, I have two 3x3  headstocks as well - one of each bridge design.   My SB Blitz is the keeper - all day.

FYI - those are the wrong control knobs for a Blitz (those are Gibson speed knobs) and the correct black, factory Hamer knobs are hard as all hell to find.  Unless he has the original knobs, I'd consider using that as a bargaining tool on price/shipping. 

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck on it either way

15 minutes ago, Boomerang~Junkie said:

FYI - those are the wrong control knobs for a Blitz 

I'm not a 100% sure that they were all fitted with just the one knob type... I've seen Blitz's outfitted with 4 different types of knobs... The top hats, the speed knobs, knurled metal knobs & the large plastic factory knobs... in my opinion, those could be the correct knobs

When I had a Standard shipped from the UK, shipping was close to $250, and then there was about $200 in duties on top of that. Considering it was a unique Standard Custom, that was acceptable, but I recently got a round trip ticket to Paris for $271. It might literally be cheaper to fly to London to get it, and no customs hangups.

Archived