Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: '70's VamPower 100w Marc Bolan Power Amp & Speaker Cab

No affiliation.  I know very little about Marc Bolan (T Rex), and nothing about this amp, it just popped up on my Ebay when I was looking at a different item.  Currently selling at $11.50, with free shipping, 'selling due to divorce'  :rolleyes:

:https://www.ebay.com/itm/223637401093?_trksid=p11021.c100851.m5053&_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170803121420%26meid%3D4f36c9ef95a840958caef5adb4beb955%26pid%3D100851%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26b%3D1%26sd%3D323895040147%26itm%3D223637401093%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D11021&ul_noapp=true

Edited to add:  Seller's location is Chatsworth, CA, according to the Ebay listing...I highly suspect the low starting price and free shipping have something to do with California's 'Community Property Laws'.  :blink: :ph34r:

Wow. That is so cool. And it's all tube!! I read that he used Vamp amps, and that they were solid state. So I thought that he had seriously good tone with an ss amp. But I googled now and found out that the SS amp he used was a HH’s IC-100. The previous article I read about Bolans amps had this mixed up. Good to know.

If that one had been for sale here in Europe I'd be all over it. It looks just super cool. And I'm a big Bolan fan.

Extra cool. Look at the bottom right. It is described what ohm your speaker cab should have d if you run it on four or two tubes, and wattage.

Edit: or does it...??? If so, what the hell is "socket 5"? 

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, Disturber said:

Extra cool. Look at the bottom right. It is described what ohm your speaker cab should have d if you run it on four or two tubes, and wattage.

Edit: or does it...??? If so, what the hell is "socket 5"? 

I don't think that's the number of tubes, I think that's the wattage going to each cabinet. So, when you have two cabinets plugged in, each gets 50 watts.

As you can see, it has 5 output jacks.  It must have a 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm tap off that MASSIVE output transformer, which looks hand wound to me.

s-l1600.jpg

9 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Now at $338.00.

...with 43 watchers, according to Ebay.  The last 5 minutes of the auction might get interesting/expensive.  Or not.  Since it's ending on a Labor Day Sunday/beginning of the month, it's going to be unpredictable IMO.  Hurricane Dorian going through Florida at roughly the same time may or may not have an impact too, especially if there's any watchers stuck at home waiting the storm out.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

As you can see, it has 5 output jacks.  It must have a 4 ohm, 8 ohm, and 16 ohm tap off that MASSIVE output transformer, which looks hand wound to me.

Those transformers remind me of the huge Partridge transformers that Dave Reeves-era Hiwatts had.  If they were Partridges, I woulda thought the seller should have mentioned that, though.

4 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I don't think that's the number of tubes, I think that's the wattage going to each cabinet. So, when you have two cabinets plugged in, each gets 50 watts.

Way cool. I missed that picture. I want that thing, damn it.

It's really interesting how the control pots are all mounted on that separate aluminum face plate, and not on the chassis. Just an interesting way of construction.

That price is a STEAL. Those speakers alone...  ORIGINAL early 70's Greenbacks? FOUR of them?  

and FREE SHIPPING.  If you wanted to level your house, this would definitely be a very cheap way to do it, currently.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:13 PM, tbonesullivan said:

It's really interesting how the control pots are all mounted on that separate aluminum face plate, and not on the chassis. Just an interesting way of construction.

That price is a STEAL. Those speakers alone...  ORIGINAL early 70's Greenbacks? FOUR of them?  

and FREE SHIPPING.  If you wanted to level your house, this would definitely be a very cheap way to do it, currently.

US $3,827.77 

Not cheap. But not super expensive either. Out of my league for an amp though... 

13 hours ago, Disturber said:

US $3,827.77 

Not cheap. But not super expensive either. Out of my league for an amp though... 

Yeah, it took off BIG TIME at the end. When I looked, it was 380, not 3800. That's hopefully gonna make some vintage gear head REALLY happy. They don't make them like that anymore.

Archived