Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Hamer95USA

Adding an Aguilar OBP-1 or OBP-2 to my '82 Cruisebass

Posted (edited)

Hello HFC folks,

I've been thinking of adding either the Aguilar OPB-1 bass preamp ( 2 band EQ boost only) or the OPB-2 ( 2 band EQ boost/cut) to my '82 Cruisebass with the stock Dimarzio Precision bass & Jazz bass pickups. Does anyone have experience with these on their basses? If so, would you be kind enough to share your experiences with me?

Aguilar onboard bass preamp

I currently use the Cruisebass with a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI box for the EQ boost/cut & drive with an old Boss CS-2 compressor before the SWR Super Redhead 2x10 bass combo amp & Goliath Jr. 2x10 bass cab. It would be nice to have the 2 band EQ boost/cut wired to my Cruisebass and eliminate the Tech 21 Bass Driver DI box from my current bass rig. 

Guitar George

Edited by Hamer95USA

I have installed the Audere on two basses and was very impressed.  I have never tried the Aguilar.

Posted (edited)

I think something is lost when you put an onboard EQ onto a passive bass. You never get that passive tone back.

Have you considered a simple stomp EQ? Aguilar makes those too...

tone-hammer-front-final-sm.png

https://www.aguilaramp.com/effect-pedals/tone-hammer/

Edited by killerteddybear
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

I think something is lost when you put an onboard EQ onto a passive bass. You never get that passive tone back.

Have you considered a simple stomp EQ? Aguilar makes those too...

tone-hammer-front-final-sm.png

https://www.aguilaramp.com/effect-pedals/tone-hammer/

That's a really nice Bass preamp pedal which is better than the Tech 21 Bass Driver DI pedal that I'm currently using. I like that Tone Hammer pedal has an adjustable mid-range EQ with Boost/cut. 

Guitar George