Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

Angel: A Band Time Forgot.

OK, following through with the threat from the other thread LOL.

Formed in '75, disbanded in '81. A good thing? Who knows. I was always on the fence about them, although I enjoyed a good bit of their music, some of it was fairly cheesy. The good made up for the bad. Their bassist went on to play in White Lion, and the keyboardist went on to House of Lords. Not much on YouTube for them, but their albums include: Sinful, Heaven As It Is On Earth, Helluva Band, Angel, Live Without A Net, Anthology, and White Hot. Check them out. Some will like it, some will hate it. 

....and some of us East Coasters will remember them.

5 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/news/article/13024284/angel-on-his-shoulder

Cheap Chick Pam & I once had a reward offered on nationwide craigslist for the tiny road case that safeguarded Punky Meadows hairbrush when they were on tour in the 70s

Ha! So someone remembers them! Thanks for sharing the article. I read it partly, will need to finish it later. Funny Zappa story there. Can’t wait to read it all!

3 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Ha! So someone remembers them! 

I spent my adolescent years in the DC area, from whence Punky originated and is still considered a demigod.

Honestly, the only thing I thought cool about Angel was their invertible logo. By this time in my life (1979)  I was over KISS and the entire Casablanca slate of flamboyant poseur bands, lol.

The Ramones & Cheap Trick seemed more accessible to me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I spent my adolescent years in the DC area, from whence Punky originated and is still considered a demigod.

Honestly, the only thing I thought cool about Angel was their invertible logo. By this time in my life (1979)  I was over KISS and the entire Casablanca slate of flamboyant poseur bands, lol.

The Ramones & Cheap Trick seemed more accessible to me.

Yeah, I like a good bit of the melodic content, but like I said, some of it is pretty damn cheesy. The wardrobe was always over the top glam. They could’ve done without it. But then Casablanca probably wouldn’t have signed them!

I think one can fairly say that only acts like the Bee Gees and EWF could wear matching white bedazzled bell-bottomed suits and get away with it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Honestly, the only thing I thought cool about Angel was their invertible logo.

Exactly the way I felt (and feel) about them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I think one can fairly say that only acts like the Bee Gees and EWF could wear matching white bedazzled bell-bottomed suits and get away with it.

Let us not forget ABBA, who had less cheesier songs and keyboard tones than did Angel.

ABBA may have lost in the hair category though, and I will  concede that "Punky" is a much cooler name than "Agnetha", "Benny", or "Bjorn".

Tie with "Anni-Frid" however. That''s OG base to the core!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Punky has more fluid than Jeff Beck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 1.08.40 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 1.08.40 PM.png

And it was told: “Post, and they shall cometh.”

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

ABBA may have lost in the hair category though, and I will  concede that "Punky" is a much cooler name than "Agnetha", "Benny", or "Bjorn".

Tie with "Anni-Frid" however. That''s OG base to the core!

Verily, verily. But none of those could reach the lofty heights of name coolness that accrued to Lithuanian-American professional tennis player/amateur guitarist Vitas Gerulaitis.  I recall my best friend's dad channel surfing and briefly watching the finals of the '79 U.S. Open match, casually blurting out loud to no one in particular, "Vitas Gerulaitis?!? What the hell is THAT...some sort of VD?!?"

spacer.png

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

And it was told: “Post, and they shall cometh.”

3942mo.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Angel and their ilk bogged music down so that the Ramones HAD to happen. Love me some glam, some prog, some punk, some grunge, but after the pioneers come the waves who mimic the style without living the life that created the style, or maybe they just get relegated to the dustbin of history because of bad timing. Bowie led to Angel, The Ramones led to Avril Lavigne, Nirvana led to Nickelback, Grandmaster Flash led to Cardi B...

Edited by polara
  • Like 1

The best thing about Angel is they incited Frank Zappa to write “Punky’s Whips“, based on the Jeff Beck reference...

• Like 4

Saw Angel in Madison. Piper opened. I remember liking Piper (Billy Squier before he stroked himself).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Released in 1974.  I’ll see your Angel and raise you a Nektar!!

Edited by Dutchman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

Ain’t too bad! Tidal has them 😉

Edited by gtrdaddy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I see your Nektar, raise you a Blackjack, which according to this eerily Spinal Tapesque documentary, was "not a gamble." 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Ain’t too bad! Tidal has them 😉

First heard them in the army, Their album Remember the future is very Pink Floydish. Not sure who influenced whom. Dark Side of the Moon was released the same year. 1973 I think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I see your Nektar, raise you a Blackjack, which according to this eerily Spinal Tapesque documentary, was "not a gamble." 

I like that!!! There was so much great music that never made it back then!!! Compared to the total shit music getting rotation today!!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

First heard them in the army, Their album Remember the future is very Pink Floydish. Not sure who influenced whom. Dark Side of the Moon was released the same year. 1973 I think.

I just listened to the entire Down to Earth record. I like it. Tidal has ten or twelve studio albums in the library. I’ll be checking out more tomorrow!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Wonder where it all went wrong?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Wonder where it all went wrong?

I think it's because they didn't have Bobbie Fleckman, the hostess with the mostest, working for them.

Edited by Biz Prof
  • Like 3