Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

Angel: A Band Time Forgot.

53 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

I just listened to the entire Down to Earth record. I like it. Tidal has ten or twelve studio albums in the library. I’ll be checking out more tomorrow!

Thai stick really sets the mood!! You’ll forget where you are!!! LOL!!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I’m one of the aforementioned “East Coast guys” and saw them once or twice playing opening slots at the Philly Spectrum.  I even owned one of their albums, though I didn’t play it more than once or twice.

As East Coast regional, Spectrum-opening bands go, Starz were better.

Edited by Rich_S
  • Like 5

Saw them a couple of times as a opening act for bands I wanted to see. A painful 45 minutes both times. 

• Haha 1

Elduave and I caught a Starz/Angel show a few months ago.  Starz still kicks ass.

We stopped watching Angel by two songs into their set and had WAY more fun hanging out with the Starz guys...

• Like 5

9 hours ago, polara said:

Love me some glam, some prog, some punk, some grunge, but after the pioneers come the waves who mimic the style without living the life that created the style, or maybe they just get relegated to the dustbin of history because of bad timing. 

Or, conversely, sucking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Starz, Angel, Piper...all kept my attention for a little while.  The records are in storage.  Saw Angel live one time. It was one of those four band shows at the Lakeland Civic Center before the advent of the Rock Superbowl's in Orlando.  I can't remember the bill.  I just remember that it took an inordinate amount of time for them to set up and tear down Angel.

Did any of you ever see Michael Lee Smith's brother Rex live?  He and his band "Rex" were really pretty good early on.  They played on tour with...I can't remember.  Ted Nugent maybe?  Rocker to start and morphed into Donny Osmond/Andy Gibb wanna be.

Last, Greg Giuffria's first solo album has a few really good tunes on it, but it's in storage forever too.

• Like 1

Can’t get into em at all.    Seems disjointed.   Packing in tons of riffs and forced lame poppy hooks that sound like the soundtrack of some 70’s cheese movie.       Say what you want about ufo and Aerosmith two bands that were all over the place but their stuff imho sounded way more organic.   Were bands really afraid of angel opening up for them?    

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

sound like the soundtrack of some 70’s cheese movie

It was actually the soundtrack of an 80s cheese movie

R-13116525-1548348969-8594.jpeg.jpg

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, Ed Rechts said:

By this time in my life (1979)  I was over KISS and the entire Casablanca slate of flamboyant poseur bands, lol.

Except...

20190828_144659.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaveL said:

Were bands really afraid of angel opening up for them?    

As someone who was active on the concert scene at that time, I seriously doubt that too many headlining bands were afraid of them. I on the other hand when hearing about a band I wanted to see was very afraid that Angel might be the opening act.  Them or Gentile Giant. Totally different type of band that was a big opening act for a lot of bands back in the day. They had a following but not my thing. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, killerteddybear said:

The best thing about Angel is they incited Frank Zappa to write “Punky’s Whips“, based on the Jeff Beck reference...

Insolent pouting rictus... 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kurt L said:

Insolent pouting rictus... 

Frank was the Man!

Terry needs someone to remind him to put his pants on when he leaves the house. But perhaps it was a family trait, look how Dale did or didn’t dress.

One of my best friends is a drummer that I played with more and longer than anyone else over the years.  His favorite band is Angel, and because I respect his opinion I've listened to them many times over the years and I just don't get it.  Their music just doesn't reach me somehow.

Lucky for him, through the magic of the Internet he became friends with them over the years.  He's driven as far as St. Louis from VA to see them and all kinds of places north of here like NY, NJ, MD, PA, etc.  He's made drum heads for them and they stop by his house when they come through our area.  They've even stayed there a couple of times to save money.  Years ago, they were going to do 7-10 west coast dates and they asked him if he wanted to drum roadie for them, an offer he accepted.  Setting up for the very first show, he broke his ankle and ended up in the hospital for a few days and missed the entire run of dates.  He's still in touch with them regularly and they've sent him all kinds of promo materials and even demos of songs they never released.

^^^^^^^ That’s him! This is the guy who owns Punky’s hairbrush/roadcase rig!

• Haha 2

I am late to this thread but I liked Angel back in that time.  Saw them live in Mobile Alabama.