Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
gtrdaddy

ROLLER-MANIA!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

S*A*TUR*DAY... NIGHT!

I never cared for the band at all, but the story is interesting insomuch as how the music industry controlled every aspect of a band’s life and finances. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over 300 million albums sold. I think I have one of them.

https://www.thebaycityrollers.co.uk/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw them at the Ohio State Fair when I was a kid and remember thinking why aren't these guys a hard rock band? The strat and the Orange amps were cranking. Of Course I was 13 and what did I know?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love slushy 70s pop...I need their greatest hits. They were huge when I was a kid. I always thought they were American....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That little documentary was interesting. Never connected how the Rollers influenced The Ramones (nor am I sure if I agree with it), and that they brought in David Bowie's producer to work on making them legit in later years. The BCR version of "Rebel Rebel" played at the end is cool. Kinda dug the wah'd out guitar overlays on the signature intro.

It is rather amusing how the "band" members admit that they knew their whole image was crafted and phony, their audience was "astro-turfed" for publicity stunting.  but then they gloat about how popular they were at the time, especially in The States. I'm not sure if they are mocking Americans or themselves here.

If you think about it,  fellow travelers The Bay City Rollers and The Sweet were only different by seemingly mundane, yet significantly consequential management decisions: Marketing direction and production values. The image personas were basically the same, as was the intended audience. 

How one managed to influence so many hard "pop" rock bands that followed, and the other was relegated to the dustbin of bubblegum shlock, is a matter of degrees.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It‘s a game!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gorch said:

It‘s a game!

Isn’t it though!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I love Nick Lowe's story of trying to get out of a recording contract by releasing a Bay City Rollers 'tribute' song:

From Wikipedia:

"English singer-songwriter Nick Lowe wrote a "Jaundiced" (in Lowe's words[12]) paean to the band titled "Bay City Rollers We Love You". The track was "carefully sculpted" to be poor enough to get Lowe out of a recording contract with United Artists. The strategy backfired. UA issued the record as by the Tartan Horde,[13] which was the name given to Rollers fans in England, and it became a substantial hit in Japan.[12] Lowe was obliged to record a follow-up song called "Rollers Show", which did not meet with the same commercial success. This follow-up song was included on the US release of Lowe's first album, Pure Pop for Now People."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_City_Rollers

P.S., It's not his finest work:  :lol: :ph34r:

 

Edited by crunchee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember them from the 70's, didn't like them even as a kid. They were quite prominent in the german music shows and I watched every music shows then even when I was 4/5 years old. The Rollers always looked ridiculous in their clothes. There was a lot in the german music charts I didn't like. I liked ABBA, but also the Sweet, Sparks, Aerosmith and Queen. I wasn't in an age to go out and buy the albums of those bands, but I had a cassette recorder and taped those songs from the radio. I also didn't like the Bee Gees and all that disco style that came up by 1976/77. Man, I don't know how often I heard Copa Cabana by Barry Manilow in the radio. Funny thing is, now since several decades passed by, I love to keep those memories alive, and all the ugly stuff is also part of it, maybe nowadays not as ugly as I felt it once was. my harddisk has lots of music, including Bee Gees, Barry Manilow and even one song by the Bay City Rollers (You made me believe in Magic). Watching scenes of that docu, I must say I still don't like them and they still look stupid in those pants. By the way, my sister (two years older than me) bought the BRAVO a lot (that was the german teenage music magazine back in the 70's), and the BCR were in there a lot, and so were even Leif Garrett and Shaun Cassidy. I read that magazine too from time to time. I really like lots of the 70's, but here in Germany most of the stuff I enjoyed wasn't that popular for the masses. The popular stuff was total crap mostly, it was in the early 80's (1980-82) when I discovered the stuff from the 60's/70's that I still like. My grandparents listened to radio a lot, but those stations mostly played easy listening music, James Last, Herb Alpert and Tijurana Brass, Burt Bacharach, Bert Kaempfert and stuff like that...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the BCR and the Sweet comparisons but for the record, Sweet could kick their ass all day long. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hamer_SS_guy said:

I remember them from the 70's, didn't like them even as a kid. They were quite prominent in the german music shows and I watched every music shows then even when I was 4/5 years old. The Rollers always looked ridiculous in their clothes. There was a lot in the german music charts I didn't like. I liked ABBA, but also the Sweet, Sparks, Aerosmith and Queen. I wasn't in an age to go out and buy the albums of those bands, but I had a cassette recorder and taped those songs from the radio. I also didn't like the Bee Gees and all that disco style that came up by 1976/77. Man, I don't know how often I heard Copa Cabana by Barry Manilow in the radio. Funny thing is, now since several decades passed by, I love to keep those memories alive, and all the ugly stuff is also part of it, maybe nowadays not as ugly as I felt it once was. my harddisk has lots of music, including Bee Gees, Barry Manilow and even one song by the Bay City Rollers (You made me believe in Magic). Watching scenes of that docu, I must say I still don't like them and they still look stupid in those pants. By the way, my sister (two years older than me) bought the BRAVO a lot (that was the german teenage music magazine back in the 70's), and the BCR were in there a lot, and so were even Leif Garrett and Shaun Cassidy. I read that magazine too from time to time. I really like lots of the 70's, but here in Germany most of the stuff I enjoyed wasn't that popular for the masses. The popular stuff was total crap mostly, it was in the early 80's (1980-82) when I discovered the stuff from the 60's/70's that I still like. My grandparents listened to radio a lot, but those stations mostly played easy listening music, James Last, Herb Alpert and Tijurana Brass, Burt Bacharach, Bert Kaempfert and stuff like that...

 

Same experiences made here. How have you dug our all these d names. I forgot about most, although, still hear Sweet, Nazareth, Queen and the like.

14 hours ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

I understand the BCR and the Sweet comparisons but for the record, Sweet could kick their ass all day long. 

They still play out greatly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was interesting. They never really said if the scumbag manager totally got away with all the money, or what happened to it. That was a little annoying. Like, did they sue him? What the hell really went on with that aspect? They sort of implied he got away with it and everyone eventually had to go get real jobs or similar, but it would be nice if they'd fucking say so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LefThanDed said:

I can't even...

bay_city_rollers_2-563x353.jpg

Checkout the documentary above though. It’s fairly interesting, more so about the music business than the Rollers themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, I wonder how they’d look in that costumes today. Same for The Sweet in glamour. B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gorch said:

Ha, I wonder how they’d look in that costumes today. Same for The Sweet in glamour. B)

They wouldn’t be playing rock. They would be turned into some flavor of the month boy band incorporating dance moves into their music.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember The Sweet playing live 1974 at the Musikladen (which followed the legendary Beat Club). They were really heavy then, I remember them playing "Turn it Down". Most other german music shows were just lip sync, boring for me even as a kid. But there were the old Beat Club recordings (which were mostly played live) and also the Rockpalast series which had fantastic live concerts by artists that were not always mentioned in the top 40 charts (but sometimes still well-known).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Hamer_SS_guy said:

I remember them from the 70's, didn't like them even as a kid.  Funny thing is, now since several decades passed by, I love to keep those memories alive, and all the ugly stuff is also part of it, maybe nowadays not as ugly as I felt it once was.

This applies to a LOT of the country music from the 70s along with all the pop music.  Fortunately, there is no fondness for disco.  After 40 years, disco STILL sucks. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

This applies to a LOT of the country music from the 70s along with all the pop music.  Fortunately, there is no fondness for disco.  After 40 years, disco STILL sucks. 

When I play bass, some old disco tunes are fun to play. I think, there was a thin line between 70's funk and disco. Artists like George Duke or Narada Michael Walden shure did stuff that sounded very disco. Barry White was pure disco to me, but I like that, "Love's Theme" for example with all that string arrangement played by real strings. Queen went disco too. Even Kiss' "I was made for loving you".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gorch said:

Ha, I wonder how they’d look in that costumes today. Same for The Sweet in glamour. B)

Half-naked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...