Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Excellent article on the increasing passing of rock legends.

I wish I'd written this:

https://theweek.com/articles-amp/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

Excellent pragmatism. No  sanctimony intended but accomplishments-wise, does Debbie Harry really belong on that list? One could make the same argument about Bryan Ferry, at least in the U.S.

11 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I wish I'd written this:

https://theweek.com/articles-amp/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

Excellent pragmatism. No  sanctimony intended but accomplishments-wise, does Debbie Harry really belong on that list? One could make the same argument about Bryan Ferry, at least in the U.S.

He put Keith Richards on the list, against a different prevailing opinion.

Interesting.  A groundbreaking article which addresses the phenomenon of time continuing on as one generation witnesses the older generation dying off.  

Damn you, 2019! The dying continues.  

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I wish I'd written this:

You would have done a better job, Willie.

And, his list is a joke. One man's 'legend' is another man's pretentious poser (my opinion of many of his choices).

30 minutes ago, kizanski said:

THIS JUST IN:
People Get Older Everyday, Until They Don't.

Yeah, but the Baby Boom supplies a larger number of candidates who are aging out every year compared to other generations. America experienced about 4 million live births every year from 1946 to 1964, which would total close to 80 million people who are aging out and dying of old age over a 19-year period. England and Australia also experienced a post-war baby boom over the same time period.

The Baby Boom spent its entire life as a population tidal wave that continues to take the rest of the population by surprise.

52 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The Baby Boom spent its entire life as a population tidal wave that continues to take the rest of the population by surprise.

Yes, imagine our surprise when people age and then die.  

There's a disconnect for me between people I do know and people I'd like to know.  I remember that Phil Lynott's death was tough because I was really into Thin Lizzy.  Same thing with Gary Moore.  I always thought Michael Schenker wouldn't last too long.  I'm happy I was wrong about that.  But I just don't lament the natural course of life and the death of famous people.  

My father turned 87 last Wednesday.  I think he has three close friends left.  I hope he makes it to none.

10 hours ago, RobB said:

In Philos case, he had Hep-C, his veins had collapsed, and his roadie/tech was buying coke to get him off of smack. It’s rumored he died from HIV, but he prolly died from everything. 

Pneumonia...

The part of the article I found very interesting was the “hit by committee” approach that was prevalent in the pre-rock era and is again now the standard way to make music. It never really went away,  yet when Aerosmith brought in Desmond Child or Holly Knight in the 1980s, it was to augment and improve songs they had written, not songs being Force-fed them by the COMPANY.

Like Polara states, good new guitar rock is still out there. I do like The Shelters, for example.

15 hours ago, kizanski said:

Yes, imagine our surprise when people age and then die.  

I know, right? You'd think people would start catching on. I remember when David Carradine died (self-inflicted) ten years ago, people here were surprised to find that he was  72 at the time. But then, he was born in 1936, 10 years before the Baby Boom started. Now first year Baby Boomers were born in 1946 and are around 73. 

22 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

America experienced about 4 million live births every year from 1946 to 1964, which would total close to 80 million people who are aging out and dying of old age over a 19-year period.

What would that number be adjusted for inflation?

23 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Yes, and they never miss an opportunity to remind others of this, too.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:07 PM, killerteddybear said:

You would have done a better job, Willie.

And, his list is a joke. One man's 'legend' is another man's pretentious poser (my opinion of many of his choices).

^ ^ THIS ^ ^   for the win.  

You do not need this article to bolster your resume - its already excellent.    I've read several of your pieces - you have natural talent and you work hard as well.   Your version would just make this poor bastard cry anyway.    :lol:

2 hours ago, MCChris said:

What would that number be adjusted for inflation?

At age 21, people start buying cars (and houses, if they got good enough jobs), and entering the adult world of taking out loans and buying things.

1967 marks when the first year of Baby Boomers turned 21. 1985 marks when the last year of Baby Boomers turned 21. During these 19 years, whatever you could buy for $100 in 1967 would have cost $322.16 in 1985. Cost of living more than tripled in those 19 years. By contrast, what cost $100 in 2000 only increased to $149 in 2019. I can't find any other 19-year span that matched the 1946-1965 inflation rate.

A bunch of people in their 20's got signed and promoted at the same time.  So, the group of them are going to get old together.  Pick a high school graduating class and watch all of them age.  It is the same thing except the majority of them are not famous. 

Try finding one of those 60s and 70s bands with all its original members.  Aerosmith and ZZ Top are the only two that come to mind.  All the rest have had to rotate in new members.  Find a local business where the same people have been working for 40 years.  Aside from a small mom and pop shop there will be very few. 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:20 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

I wish I'd written this:

Actually, I missed Freddy Mercury in the legends fell by illness list.

But yes, TDC!

Archived