Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Excellent article on the increasing passing of rock legends.

3 hours ago, The Shark said:

Drudge picked up the article.  Willie used the term "excellent".  I think he's validated.  You don't get on Drudge, if it doesn't help Drudge.

If the article was written by George Gershwin it would be titled, "Suck-city in Blue."

7 hours ago, The Shark said:

Drudge picked up the article.  Willie used the term "excellent".  I think he's validated.  You don't get on Drudge, if it doesn't help Drudge.

Its It's neither excellent nor an article.  It's a glorified dead pool list.  And not even a good one at that.   

Hey, wait...  If all the rock stars are going to die off in a big wave that means the rock memorabilia collectors are going to die off about 15 years later.  All the people hanging on to their autographed albums or rare vinyl are going to leave the collectibles market flooded when they die, and there will not be as many people interested in buying all that stuff. 

Start messing with your kids and tell them your Foghat records are a virtual gold mine. 

30 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Hey, wait...  If all the rock stars are going to die off in a big wave that means the rock memorabilia collectors are going to die off about 15 years later.  All the people hanging on to their autographed albums or rare vinyl are going to leave the collectibles market flooded when they die, and there will not be as many people interested in buying all that stuff. 

...or vintage guitars, but we've been saying that for years.  It is looking more and more like a certainty each day.

^^^^This (both Haynie and Kizanski). That's partly why I identified with the original article, and I'm no more than nine years younger than Dylan, the oldest living artist cited in the list (I turned 69 last month).

There are a few 'doom prophets' being heard in the vintage guitar collectors' collective, yet attendance at shows still seems to be strong...to what extent that's a last gasp by Boomers or will be ongoing is subject to conjecture.

Case in point: Atlanta hadn't had a guitar show in 13 years until last spring, and FWMOW that metropolis had never really supported guitar shows (numerous promoters---some experienced---tried and flunked.  However this year's show did so well the promoters have scheduled a 2020 show. Was it a novelty on accounta there hadn't been one since 2006? That said, the spring show there was well-presented, IMO.

There's no disagreement that Boomers have always been the driving force for old guitars on accounta such items are "time warp machines" for us...regardless of our level of talent/chops, then and now.

Funny thing is, that nowadays I sometimes feel like how I remember my very early years before I developed any interests. It is a vague memory from when I was about 3-5 years old. I remember I was happy playing outside, no matter if it was raining or the sun was shining. Nowadays, when I am cycling outside, I enjoy the blue sky, not thinking about anything, no problems, no music, no guitars, just nothing. Then I go into my music room, see my guitars, but don't feel like they are special, they're just guitars. Not too long ago, I was thinking all things I am interested in were something special. They may be special, but just to me. I could think "wow, my Gibson RD Artist Bass is from 1978, it could tell stories", but no, it doesn't. I wanted one, because it looked cool, it looked cool in old pics. I never found it cool to play, I don't look cool with it. If I were gone instantly, my family would sell that bass as were it nothing special. And it isn't special, as there will be more and more RD basses for sale with fewer buyer interests. Or another example, I love comic books, not really a big collector though. There are still many collectors in my age. A book like Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st Spider-man appearance) is worth a lot on the collectors' market, but for how long? Collecting stuff like that, or vintage guitars, seems only interesting when there is a worth behind it, and when there's enough people in believing in that. There is still new music that inspires me, maybe oldfashioned style, but yet it inspires me, though it's not hero-worshipping. Just yesterday I watched some clips and I watched some clips about the "Neo Ventilator II" or Nathaniel Murphy playing the Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster, also watched some clips of Greg Koch playing. This guy got me interested in Telecasters recently, and I am really thinking about selling some stuff (I seldom use) to get a US Elite Tele and an Acoustasonic. Because I realize, these are now my last 20-30 years (maybe even less), after I am gone, all my stuff might be worth next to nothing. But hey, no reason, to feel depressed. At least, I did enjoy all that old music, movies, whatever. Nobody can take the memories from me.

Here's some example of a cover song of my favorite album (Jeff Beck Group's ROUGH AND READY):

It shows that new performances can still be interesting and exciting. It doesn't need necessarily the original artists.
For example, Dweezil Zappa's band with relative unknowns performs FZ's music perfectly (though I miss FZ's humor a bit).
Here is the original performance of the above clip:

" A few of these legends might manage to live into their 90s, despite all the … wear and tear to which they've subjected their bodies over the decades."

Keef will be one of 'em...😎. Wonder what he'll look like in 15 years.

image.png.58c06b9583ac8668407bd4ac9eb2785c.png

On 8/31/2019 at 10:20 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

I wish I'd written this:

https://theweek.com/articles-amp/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

Excellent pragmatism. No  sanctimony intended but accomplishments-wise, does Debbie Harry really belong on that list? One could make the same argument about Bryan Ferry, at least in the U.S.

I think Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music was maybe a bigger deal over this side of the Atlantic than yours in the 70s and 80s.  Maybe for some middle-aged brits/europeans he does belong on the list, I wasn't a fan myself, I didn't hate their music, but I never bought any of their records either.  I'm much more surprised to see an ex-band member from Roxy Music, Brian Eno not being on the list, he has been and still is a quite prolific & influential creator of music & other artforms.   My own perception of Debbie Harry / Blondie is as just another not very major face in the post-punk 'new wave'.   There were so many new wave bands that appeared along with all the new independent record labels that had sprung up. Their album 'Parallel lines' was a pretty mainsteam hit as I remember, I didn't buy it myself but I saw it in a lot of my friends' album collections and also people who weren't into that part of the music scene of the time bought it too.  I was very surprised to see they made 11 albums they when I checked their discography, but I think you're right that she doesn't belong on a list of artists that Includes David Gilmour,  Roger Waters, members of The Who, Springsteen & all the rest of those truly big names.

There are lots more heroes of older age, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Police, Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Edgar Winter, Billy Cobham, many well-known sidemen like Vinnie Colaiuta, David Sancious, Carl Palmer, too many to list here. Even VH have come into old age. All those musicians that are big names to musicians. The original Motorhead, all dead, also the Spiders from Mars, Emerson, Lake and Powell, next will be the hair metal scene, then the 90's acts and with them us too. Then there is a population that has it's own problems and struggles, while that is no matter for us anymore.

Was so sad when I heard 'Fast' Eddie Clark, the original Motorhead guitarist had died in Jan 18 and with it the realisation that all of the original members of Motorhead were no longer in this earthly existence.  Also devastated when Lemmy passed.  I was such a huge fan of his in my teens and beyond, as much for Hawkwind as Motorhead.  It was shitty of Hawkwind to fire him whilst on tour the way they did.

It used to shock me when someone I listened to died.

Now I’m surprised that they’re still alive.

That said, it would get to me a lot more if I heard that a musician friend of mine, especially one I was in a band with, had died.

I think That’s going to be much harder to take.

19 hours ago, RobB said:

1FAE3F86-ADBC-48EE-8F00-6740D6640B61.jpeg

12 hours ago, HSB0531 said:

Whatever you think of Keef, and however he is entombed, he Urn’d it

You know that if he ends up that way, somebody's gonna try to snort his ashes, for bragging rights at the very least; just like Keef supposedly snorted a little of his Dad's ashes.  Though IMO it's just as likely that Keef's ashes will be under lock and key at a pharmacy/chemist's, as a 'controlled substance'.

It is kinda sad how things have returned back to the "Song Farm" assembly line that dominated "pre-rock" music. Just another example of things ruined by an effort to maximize profit.

At least I have my CDs, so I don't have to worry about future remixes by corporate idiots.

Archived