Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wraptails and belly cuts

Travis

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously. I feel like I asked about this before but I’m failing in the search function. 

What years did Hamer use the wraptail and belly cuts on the studios?  I know the ‘96’s did but did they continue that on for a couple of years?

also, did the artists of the same time period have belly cuts as well?  I’ve seen several with the wraptails but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an artist with a belly cut...

I had an Eclipse with a wraptail and belly cut. I don't know the date (bought it used and it's long gone to get an Anniversary, but I think it was mid-'90s.

During that period, the ones with the "studio" designation were wraptails (but I think you knew that already).

Yeah, I’ve seen some ‘94 and ‘95 wraptail studios with belly cuts and wraptails now that I’ve been researching more. Still haven’t seen an artist with a belly cut, tho...

22 hours ago, Travis said:

Yeah, I’ve seen some ‘94 and ‘95 wraptail studios with belly cuts and wraptails now that I’ve been researching more. Still haven’t seen an artist with a belly cut, tho...

Look for a Phantom or Phantom Custom. Nice belly cut. Although it's called a "Custom," it's because it has that single coil neck pickup, whereas the standard model just has the 3-coil bridge pickup. The "Custom" has dots intead of crowns and has no binding on the body or fretboard. Its pickup selections create Les Paul, Strat, and Tele sounds.

Also, all those pickup coils in the strumming area create an easy environment for nailing pinch harmonics. It can turn anybody into a Billy Gibbons.

spacer.png

Another thing: The Phantom has a thicker maple cap than is customary on Les Pauls and Hamer Studio Customs. This gives the Phantoms more midrange bite and snarl.

17 hours ago, Travis said:

You won't see any Artists with belly cuts, because that area is hollow.

19 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

You won't see any Artists with belly cuts, because that area is hollow.

I figured that would affect the likelihood. Not that it COULDN’T be done...

Archived