Hamer Fan Club Message Center

82 Special NGD with a strange surprise

BadgerDave

I recently purchased an '82 Special from a seller on Reverb. The seller's photos did not include a clear shot of the headstock.  I believe most, if not all, Specials from this year had checkerboard logos, so I was surprised when I opened the case and this one didn't.  Not a big deal, but a slight disappointment.

As I always do, I started disassembling the guitar to oil the fretboard, check the wiring, remove old DNA and do a set-up.  I noticed some weirdness on the headstock and realized that someone had modified the logo.

50ioAUu%Q4G2teGgeoTLmA.jpg

This was annoying.

But, the guitar is a keeper, so I decided to experiment to see if I could remove whatever was applied over the logo.  A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser turned out to be aptly named. With not too much effort, the original logo was restored:

O5uZ4KvBSKufe57KtLUMSQ.jpg

I dig happy endings too! Love those board Specials. Mine was the most resonant guitar I ever played, until 0006 came home. My Special rang like a bell.

What  is the neck on yours like?

The neck carve is significantly thicker than my 1981 Special. A bit thicker and less taper from top to bottom than the Gibson slim taper carve, but with a very similar C shape.

Congrats on the restoration and the guitar!  Luckily it all ended up good in the end, no thanks to the seller.  <_<  You oughta email a photo back to the seller to show off your restoration, plus point out strongly that he was definitely less than up front about the logo 'modification', or that otherwise he's a seller with poor attention to detail.

I doubt the seller realized that the logo had been obscured.  I didn't notice it until I had the strings off and I was removing the truss rod cover.  I had to adjust the lighting to get a clear photo.

The seller's description was otherwise accurate and he was great to work with.

No harm, no foul. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

39 minutes ago, Tortious said:

Very cool. What do you think it was that was obscuring the checkerboard?

Permanent black Sharpie is my best guess.

It may have been a mod that predated the last seller?

17 hours ago, kizanski said:

Maybe, but somebody sold it and hated checkerboard.

Probably lost a lot of mony in a chess game at some point in his life. 

My very first Hamer was an 80 Special with the simple, non-checkerboard logo.  Maybe it's because I liked that one so much, but the checkerboard logo for me looks pretty cheesy.  I'd actually be disappointed if I bought this one and found it had that logo, but if I ever knowingly buy a checkerboard Special, it will absolutely get the sharpie treatment.

Archived