Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA, a Monaco Superpro at a GC near me UPDATE

9 hours ago, dhuber said:

It looks nice, but yes it's a crap shoot buying from them.

Agreed!! One person’s excellent is another person’s good. I’ve gotten some great guitars on the cheap from them. My Korina P90 Artist sat in a store long enough they accepted my $900.00 offer. The strap button was stripped out. That was it!! And it was loaded with Lollar 50’s wind P90’s!! The best part of buying from them is the time you get to return the guitar. Don’t like after a couple weeks... bring it back... no questions.

4 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

Agreed!! One person’s excellent is another person’s good. I’ve gotten some great guitars on the cheap from them. My Korina P90 Artist sat in a store long enough they accepted my $900.00 offer. The strap button was stripped out. That was it!! And it was loaded with Lollar 50’s wind P90’s!! The best part of buying from them is the time you get to return the guitar. Don’t like after a couple weeks... bring it back... no questions.

the really nice thing is that you can return items to your local GC - I ordered a Fender Twin Reverb Custom 15 that showed up with a replaced speaker and dead tremolo circuit.  That thing was delivered at 530 and was returned to the local GC and my credit card refunded within 90 minutes. 

Checked it out. This GC is a bit shabby compared to the big Atlanta one. There’s a teenager in a GC shirt texting. I get his attention and ask about the used Hamer Monaco on the website because it’s not in the used section. He walks over and says he doesn’t see it. I agree it’s not visible, but could he check if it was sold. He looks it up on their computer and says he’ll look around. 

Ten minutes pass and he says he found it in a hallway but maybe it’s sold, so ask the other guy. Bearded, 30ish. He finishes talking to someone and I ask him if the Hamer Monaco is sold. He stares at me and says “I don’t know what that is.”

I stare back. “It’s a guitar. You list it for sale but this guy seems to have found it but doesn’t know if it’s been sold.” 

The kid explains it’s in the hall, the beard says to bring it out and if it’s still listed in inventory it’s for sale. 

Kid brings it out. No case. A little dirty. Light weight. It’s listed as “Excellent” but it has several dings in the top, a good bit of buckle worming on the back, the bridge pickup has been knocked at about a 30 degree angle in the surrounding plastic and won’t push back down. There’s a lot of wear around both (non original) strap buttons, and it’s through the  finish and into the wood on the lower button, like someone used a really abrasive cable. Neck is straight though, it’s light, frets have light wear. 

Plays okay on dead strings, and I don’t bother plugging in, as it’s not worth $1500 and that pickup is wack. I ask if has a case and the beard says no. I point out that it’s listed as having a case. He looks in their system and says yes but he doesn’t think that’s right. 

These guys. Hilarious. 

I ask him to please check. Twenty minutes later he comes back triumphantly, waving a gig bag that offers all the protection of plastic wrap, and starts trying to stuff the Hamer inside. It doesn’t fit. 

“Don’t worry about it,” I say. “Not interested.”

if anyone feels like offering $1100, go for it! 

1 hour ago, polara said:

Checked it out. This GC is a bit shabby compared to the big Atlanta one. There’s a teenager in a GC shirt texting...

Sounds like Saturday Night Live (when you go get a snack hoping the next skit will improve).

UPDATE

I posted the above to the Guitar Center Corporate Mothership contact page, and politely told them this was an opportunity to help the staff deliver a better customer experience, and also to revisit their grade of "excellent" in condition.

Four hours later I got a call from the store manager, apologizing for the experience I had. He said that the guitar had been listed as excellent with case, and shipped to a customer, who was pissed off at the condition and returned it to his local store. It was then shipped back to this store, but somehow not in the case. He agreed that the guitar had issues, and asked me what would make things right.

I said that if he could come back with a price with case that he thought was fair given the condition, or with an allowance for a Mono Vertigo bag, I'd be happy to listen. He said he'd try to get the OSHC from the store that shipped it, and get back to me.

Sometimes it plays to... not so much complain, but to tell management that you had a bad experience, and why it was bad. We'll see...

1 hour ago, polara said:

Sometimes it plays to... not so much complain, but to tell management that you had a bad experience, and why it was bad. We'll see...

I tried that with my Guitar Center, but when that didn't work, I resorted to being an ass.

10 hours ago, polara said:

Grrrrrrrrrrr..!! WTF is it with GC's used inventory and OHSCs??? I'm going through a similar yank-around with my local GC on a beautiful, Gretsch PowerJet purchased a coupla weeks ago. More on this rant after I actually get replacement case (from one of their NEW inventory guitars on display! Idiots..) on Sunday

LATEST UPDATE :D

They guy said this poor guitar has been passed around three or four stores and no one can find the case. But he'll sell it for $1150, and they paid $1200 for it.

I'll go get it tonight and find a used Mono eventually. Fun weekend project to polish it up, get it in shape.

:D I figure GC coming from $1799 to $1150 is a moral victory. The neck was great, the bit around the strap button I can lightly sand and then shoot a few coats of clear lacquer, with wet sanding between. I've fixed worse, and it's kind of fun. I have a set of appropriate Dunlop strap buttons and I do all my own setups and repairs anyway. A local guy has agreed to sell me a new Mono Vertigo bag for $150, so I'm out $1300 plus $15 for lacquer and a few hours pleasant labor for a nice Hamer built in what I think was the absolute golden era. And I really prefer Monos to any hard case.

5 hours ago, polara said:

:D I figure GC coming from $1799 to $1150 is a moral victory. The neck was great, the bit around the strap button I can lightly sand and then shoot a few coats of clear lacquer, with wet sanding between. I've fixed worse, and it's kind of fun. I have a set of appropriate Dunlop strap buttons and I do all my own setups and repairs anyway. A local guy has agreed to sell me a new Mono Vertigo bag for $150, so I'm out $1300 plus $15 for lacquer and a few hours pleasant labor for a nice Hamer built in what I think was the absolute golden era. And I really prefer Monos to any hard case.

Put up some pics of the repair process “from the workbench”...

The two used guitars I have purchased from GC were without a case.  One listed a case and they shipped with a bag POS. I was told by a guy in a Local guitar center, that I've known for many years and after much distress from me, quote : "they make us throw them away". I gather that some managers want to sell an accessory item with every used instrument, simple. Very best on the Superpro purchase, I LOVE mine. Oh, it was the one that came with the gig bag, I liked the guitar so much that I could not return it because of that deficiency. 

Just an FYI. I’m not sure if this is the same at every GC. I have my name on a list at the Sioux Falls GC(the smallest store in the chain) 

If a USA Hamer comes in, or any other Vintage guitar for that matter, the manager calls me to check it out. I know he does this with several others also. There’s a lot of guitars that never hit the floor but are bought within hours of GC taking them in. Jo B has this connection with GC big wigs, that’s how I heard about it. 

Edit to add... he does this for old tube amps for me also. Gotten some real closet queens doing this!!

Well there is an additional story. First time poster here.......I was the one that originally bought this from the Manhattan store after I saw it drop close to $1500 and supposedly in Excellent condition and with a case and had it shipped to the Marietta, GA store. Got there and first thing was no case. Then I took the guitar out and was appalled as was the store clerk and other workers in the store. It was clearly not even close to Excellent condition. I wouldn't say I was pissed off as they are claiming. I just didn't want it. They asked what I would pay and I told them maybe $1100. Didn't accept and not really sure if it was worth that since I do not have the ability to repair myself like Polara. Refunded the money. When I went back on the site I saw they were still saying Excellent condition, which is very dishonest. I will be very wary of GC and their ratings system from now on. 

After a long time of not being serious about playing I've gotten back into it and discovered Hamers and they are absolutely incredible guitars for the price. I already had an excellent condition SuperPro so I'm good there but wanted a backup. Looking forward to being a contributor to the board

Archived