Hamer Fan Club Message Center
tommy p

Good guitar shops near Lanham, MD?

I'll be working in Lanham, MD next week.  I'll be driving from Richmond and will probably go up 301, so I plan to go to Island Music in La Plata on my way up or back.  Any other suggestions?

This shop has been around forever and while it's a crapshoot whether they'll have anything good, it's worth a visit:  Atomic Music

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jisham said:

This shop has been around forever and while it's a crapshoot whether they'll have anything good, it's worth a visit:  Atomic Music

Thanks for the reminder.  I used to have to go to Lanham fairly often and I always went to Atomic Music and that CD store that was close by.  I would not have even remembered the name of it now.  It's been 10+  years since I've been in the area.  Glad to see they're hanging on.

Atomic, hands-down.

I bought a black, bound & crowned 4 digit Standard there for $499.  

Really good people.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Atomic, hands-down.

I bought a black, bound & crowned 4 digit Standard there for $499.  

Really good people.

Wow!  I should be so lucky.  I remember the shop as being junky as hell (not that there's anything wrong with that!).  You really had to look around to find the few gems they might have had hiding somewhere.

3 hours ago, tommy p said:

Wow!  I should be so lucky.  I remember the shop as being junky as hell (not that there's anything wrong with that!).  You really had to look around to find the few gems they might have had hiding somewhere.

They moved to a better space in Beltsville a few years ago - the old College Park location always had gems hidden under dusty piles of junk.  ALWAYS!   

1 minute ago, cmatthes said:

They moved to a better space in Beltsville a few years ago - the old College Park location always had gems hidden under dusty piles of junk.  ALWAYS!   

Agreed. That College Park location next to U of Md always had cool stuff lying literally on the floor with other guitars stacked on top. That place had a cool vibe, like a junk yard full of old muscle cars. Even in the growing age of internet price verification, they seemingly had NO idea about the value of some of the instruments. I walked out of there with more than one beat-to-shit Jacksons a couple of times, then over to Terrapin Taco House for the ritualistic celebratory gut bomb to keep me humble lest I start gloating about my neo-vintage purchasing savvy.

Did you ever go to Zavarelli's in Crystal City? Same vibe. Watched a salesman there knock a black beauty LP Custom off the wall once while trying to retrieve it, and he just laughed and muttered "Well, knock a hundred off THAT one..."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tommy p said:

Thanks for the reminder.  I used to have to go to Lanham fairly often and I always went to Atomic Music and that CD store that was close by.  I would not have even remembered the name of it now.  It's been 10+  years since I've been in the area.  Glad to see they're hanging on.

CDepot!

Atomic is still good, but honestly I'm not sure there are any more $499 4-digit standard deals happening there.  It's a blast to visit though and there's some nice stuff scattered throughout.  

A bit farther away is https://gpguitars.com which was a cool place to visit last time I was there.  I was just looking, so I have no clue if they're a decent place to deal with, but they had a bunch of higher-end stuff.

Lastly, if you end up near Towson, I've had good experiences at https://www.ryansguitarexperience.com too and they carry Suhr, Reverend, PRS and a couple other cool brands in a tidy shop.  A crap-ton of forum-approved pedal brands too.  ;) 

As you're coming around the Beltway, Action Music in Falls Church VA is worth a stop.  Lots of cool vintage stuff on hand, and the owner Matt Baker is super knowledgeable.

He sure can be. By way of introduction, ask him if he recognizes this guitar, and the difference history makes between a Saturday afternoon and a Tuesday morning...

...and if he knows he douche-ly participated in one of the most notorious rare Hamer acquisition stories in all of HFC history (I dare say).

FBRED.jpeg

Edited by Ed Rechts

5 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

He sure can be. By way of introduction, ask him if he recognizes this guitar, and the difference history makes between a Saturday afternoon and a Tuesday morning...

...and if he knows he douche-ly participated in one of the most notorious rare Hamer acquisition stories in all of HFC history (I dare say).

FBRED.jpeg

Yeah, that doesn't sound like anything I'd like to open a conversation with if I might be trying to do business with somebody for the first time.  I'm interested in the story though, if you'd care to share it.

Edited by tommy p

I may be off.  But what about Chuck Levens Washington Music Center in Wheaton md.