Hamer Fan Club Message Center
JGravelin

70s Cimar StarXplorer

On CL, just down the road from me, great price, likely the Maxon Super D clone pickup, trem... after a fret level/dress and full set up, my thoughts are that this would be a wicked rawk machine. Who's got experience with these? Tell me all about it!

Do it? Don't do it?

https://mankato.craigslist.org/msg/d/medford-vintage-70s-cimar-japanese/6961634644.html

Edited by JGravelin
  • Like 5

If you had a canoe, it would make an ugly paddle.

• Haha 6

I bet that thing rocks and rocks hard! As long as it is cheap, Go for it ! If you need to change the tone, you can always drop a new pickup in....you prolly know a decent pickup maker....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a hard time saying no to oddball guitars and basses, I know that some of the 70s Japanese models are flatout killer, am daydreaming of Floyd'ing this...gawd help me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I dig it! The price is certainly right. 

• Like 1

So it's an Ibanez?

Early or Pre Ibanez, yep. I couldn't contain myself and sent a text as he requested in the post so we'll see how this plays out.

• Like 1

If nothing else it is a cool lil import that with a bit of tweaking could be a Wolf in Sheep's clothing. A test bed for some Gravelin pickups too.

• Like 3

It's in that so ugly it's cool realm, it's $200 and it has a case... I see no reason not to snag it.

Edited by Keoghpjk
  • Like 3

Just got off the phone with the guy. He's a life-long musician, early 70s, recently retired from the music industry, legit player - has boatloads of cool vintage weirdo amps and guitars and tomorrow at noon I'm going to go see what's up. Teiscos, Kay, Checkmate, Alamo, and more. Sleepers. Apparently he's got lots of stuff to get rid of and if any of you are interested in specific things, let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled. I have a feeling that this might be the best $200 I've ever spent in my life.

Edited by JGravelin
  • Like 8

Josh,  I am def interested in small recording amps 5-20 watts.....if he has some please let me know.

• Like 1

Rob, any specific models you're lusting after? I'm going to bring a pocket full of hex wrenches, small screwdrivers, a multimeter, and for the guitars and amps that have promise I will test and adjust and see what's got legs.

Jake, you got it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JGravelin said:

Rob, any specific models you're lusting after? I'm going to bring a pocket full of hex wrenches, small screwdrivers, a multimeter, and for the guitars and amps that have promise I will test and adjust and see what's got legs.

Ibanez, Greco, Tokai, Fernandes, Yamaha, Aria ProII, or any quality brand as such. Thanks!

Edited by RobB

I will report back!

1 hour ago, JGravelin said:

Just got off the phone with the guy. He's a life-long musician, early 70s, recently retired from the music industry, legit player - has boatloads of cool vintage weirdo amps and guitars and tomorrow at noon I'm going to go see what's up. Teiscos, Kay, Checkmate, Alamo, and more. Sleepers. Apparently he's got lots of stuff to get rid of and if any of you are interested in specific things, let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled. I have a feeling that this might be the best $200 I've ever spent in my life.

Those old tube Alamo’s kick ass!! Definitely sleepers!! I think some of them are Oahu (sp) circuits!! 

• Like 1

Yes they do kick ass - cranked, tone on 10, full-on wailing ...hard to beat!

• Like 1

I Like it. For $200 you can’t go wrong. Especially if you know how to do the work to make it exactly how you want. I’ve never seen one like it so it’s got that oddball mystique to it. 

• Like 2

I wish I still had my original Alamo Jet.  They were hybrid solid state/tube circuits with solid state front ends and tube outputs.  If I could find one from the mid 70s in near mint shape I would love to grab it. 

That Cimar is pretty slick.  Love the Japanese stuff of that era.

Kinda reminds me of the Peavey Mantis (or rather, vice versa...). I admit that I liked those.  Ah... guilty pleasures.

• Like 1

Love it!

If he has a green burst four pickup, I’m in!

Great score, go git it!

🤘😁

That one is super cool. For 200 bucks it's extra super cool.

I love everything about it except the Trem. I`d be tempted to lock it down or Floyd or Kahler Pro it!!

I feel like one of the Ingall's girls waiting for Pa to get home from his trip into Mankato.  What's the news Pa????

• Like 3
  • Haha 2