Hamer Fan Club Message Center

70s Cimar StarXplorer

JGravelin

On CL, just down the road from me, great price, likely the Maxon Super D clone pickup, trem... after a fret level/dress and full set up, my thoughts are that this would be a wicked rawk machine. Who's got experience with these? Tell me all about it!

Do it? Don't do it?

https://mankato.craigslist.org/msg/d/medford-vintage-70s-cimar-japanese/6961634644.html

I bet that thing rocks and rocks hard! As long as it is cheap, Go for it ! If you need to change the tone, you can always drop a new pickup in....you prolly know a decent pickup maker....

So it's an Ibanez?

Just got off the phone with the guy. He's a life-long musician, early 70s, recently retired from the music industry, legit player - has boatloads of cool vintage weirdo amps and guitars and tomorrow at noon I'm going to go see what's up. Teiscos, Kay, Checkmate, Alamo, and more. Sleepers. Apparently he's got lots of stuff to get rid of and if any of you are interested in specific things, let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled. I have a feeling that this might be the best $200 I've ever spent in my life.

Rob, any specific models you're lusting after? I'm going to bring a pocket full of hex wrenches, small screwdrivers, a multimeter, and for the guitars and amps that have promise I will test and adjust and see what's got legs.

5 hours ago, JGravelin said:

Rob, any specific models you're lusting after? I'm going to bring a pocket full of hex wrenches, small screwdrivers, a multimeter, and for the guitars and amps that have promise I will test and adjust and see what's got legs.

Ibanez, Greco, Tokai, Fernandes, Yamaha, Aria ProII, or any quality brand as such. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JGravelin said:

Just got off the phone with the guy. He's a life-long musician, early 70s, recently retired from the music industry, legit player - has boatloads of cool vintage weirdo amps and guitars and tomorrow at noon I'm going to go see what's up. Teiscos, Kay, Checkmate, Alamo, and more. Sleepers. Apparently he's got lots of stuff to get rid of and if any of you are interested in specific things, let me know and I'll keep my eyes peeled. I have a feeling that this might be the best $200 I've ever spent in my life.

Those old tube Alamo’s kick ass!! Definitely sleepers!! I think some of them are Oahu (sp) circuits!! 

I Like it. For $200 you can’t go wrong. Especially if you know how to do the work to make it exactly how you want. I’ve never seen one like it so it’s got that oddball mystique to it. 

Archived