Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP, Jimmy Johnson

joshoowah

The music world will never be the same without him. Imma go turn on Aretha's "Never Loved a Man" and cry.

In his memory, what's your favorite recording featuring The Swampers?

https://youtu.be/ts7mEKN7o5A

ETA: I think that Jimmy Johnson and Steve Cropper probably influenced my playing more than heros like Jimi, SRV and Clapton, because they showed me the power of space and the joy of being "the kid with the crayons" on fills. I was never about the soaring solo and being on lead, as much because I was very insecure as because my chops sucked, but what I lacked in blazing speed I made up for in timing and feel. Lessons learned from those two legends.

Had a signature model Bluesouth guitar. A confident and unassuming yet sage-like interviewee a number of years ago. The footage of him instructing the Stones on how to speak Southernese in GImme Shelter is priceless.

I had the chance to meet Jimmy when his documentary debuted at our local theater.  He and his wife were so kind and approachable and we had drinks after the show.  The stories he told about recording the Rolling Stones were priceless.

Archived