Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New (used) Monaco Super Pro day pics

polara

Here's the thread...

Took the strings off, found that with a little damp cloth with a drop of soap - and a LOT of polishing with a soft cloth - it cleaned up pretty nice. Swiped the fretboard with oil and dried it (it was pretty dry) and put new NYXL strings on. Truss rod was a wee bit overtightened. Got the wonky pickup straight, which took taking it out, as it had somehow been walloped hard enough to tuck the lip under the wood (sounds filthy).

Action and intonation were easy to get right. The nut is cut or worn just a smidgen deep on the D string, as it faintly buzzes against the first fret when plucking it: with comfortable action and no other buzz on any string anywhere. I'll put a micro-drop of superglue in there tonight to build it up. The wear around the bottom strap button is weird, but eventually I'll wet sand it and then build up a couple layers of clear so at least the wood isn't bare. I'll be on vacation for ten days in October so that will be a good time to let it dry.

There are I think six little dings in the top, all between pinhead and um... big pinhead sized. Back has some light jeans button wear and some shallow fine scratches into the clear. Turns out it fits my existing Mono case perfectly, so I'll juggle the other four guitars around so someone ends up in a cheap gig bag and the Monaco gets the Mono.

Love love love the weight and the neck and the medium-tall frets. Sounds great unplugged and we'll have a rehearsal today plugged in. I think this is a pretty nice top even by Hamer standards. So $1150 for a dang nice-playing 2005 Hamer that needed cleaning, setup, a drop of superglue, and if I'm picky some finish work on a place no one ever looks. The other damage all falls inside "gigged" territory so I won't be nervous about playing it.

DSCF1436.jpeg

DSCF1437.jpeg

DSCF1439.jpeg

DSCF1440.jpeg

DSCF1442.jpeg

Nice score for the $$$! They are really great guitars. Looks a lot like one of my two Superpros which was made the same year.

Odd that someone took off the Dunlop Dual Design straplock buttons (that would have been stock on the guitar from Hamer) and put on the old style Dunlops???

Enjoy

After a few days of getting the setup JUST right (I'm fanatical about that)...

HOLY JUMPING COW why had I never bought one of these? Ticks all my boxes:

• Big but not monster neck
  • Medium frets
  • Independent volumes for neck and bridge pickups, for those quiet intimate times :D
  • Stays in tune
  • All about the midrange, not boomy or shrill
  • Lovely wood
  • Not too heavy

Dang, it's weird how things work out. Sold off most of my guitars lately, some at a big loss (just gathering dust and didn't want them around) but it gave me the space and mad money to grab this. Where have you been all my life? 

20 minutes ago, polara said:

After a few days of getting the setup JUST right (I'm fanatical about that)...

HOLY JUMPING COW why had I never bought one of these? Ticks all my boxes:

• Big but not monster neck
  • Medium frets
  • Independent volumes for neck and bridge pickups, for those quiet intimate times :D
  • Stays in tune
  • All about the midrange, not boomy or shrill
  • Lovely wood
  • Not too heavy

Dang, it's weird how things work out. Sold off most of my guitars lately, some at a big loss (just gathering dust and didn't want them around) but it gave me the space and mad money to grab this. Where have you been all my life? 

It makes me feel happy that you get the Super Pro. They are weird birds. Took me a long time to figure mine out, mostly because the original pickups were janked and It took me lots of swapping before I realised that the original hot Duncans are a totally genious perfect match. I have an old JB in the bridge, but the Custom Custom is great in there too.

They look very cool on stage too. And no one who knows anything about guitars in the audience can figure out what it's all about and what that damn thing is.

Archived