Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dime's Hamer ML

jim777

I would have resurrected this ancient thread

but it's archived. Anyway, my friend Ola Englund got a chance to go through Dime's collection of guitars at his house and the Hamer is the first one out of the case (so you only need to watch the very beginning and not the whole thing :) )  His guitar tech notes Hamer wouldn't do the standard "ML" type headstock, which was a deal breaker evidently.

Even if you’re a rock star,  no soup for you!!       Actually. This one I agree with    I know dean is ripping on Gibson for a speaking up but I’m sure they wouldn’t like it it hamer started knocking out ML’s.  

Actually curious.  what did dean say about Washburn doing the dime guitars? 

Well, Ola seemed seemed, to me at least, pretty impressed by the Hamer. I haven't asked him but I wouldn't be surprised if his company (Solar) comes out with something similar to the ML with a reverse headstock soon.

He seemed impressed with it--pretty obvious from the inflection in his words. This is one of those rare cases where I think Jol and Frank made the right call. That Dean vee headstock is a hideous abomination.

Sorry, Gene (BTMN). I love Deans otherwise, but just cannot get past that gaudy vee fork. The shrimp fork was much better. 

Since headstock shapes are what gets trademarked it would have been wrong to copy the Dean headstock.  It was also something very exclusive to Dean.  If Hamer copied that headstock they should have just put a Dean logo on it, too. 

Washburn really was obvious in what they did when they made the Dime guitars.  It was wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Since headstock shapes are what gets trademarked it would have been wrong to copy the Dean headstock.  It was also something very exclusive to Dean.  If Hamer copied that headstock they should have just put a Dean logo on it, too. 

Washburn really was obvious in what they did when they made the Dime guitars.  It was wrong. 

Especially since Mr. Zelenski blatantly copied the early Hamers...two wrongs don't make a right!  :D

No need to apologize to me I hated that headstock from 1978 until 2003 when I bought my first Dean V. After I played it a few times I realized it wasn't as big as it seemed. Plus I found out there are at least 3 sizes of the V headstock from Dean.

This may be blasphemy, but I prefer the dean v headstock on a V/Vector or explorer/z/blitz shape guitar over the Hamer paddle headstock...

i think the reverse headstock worked with the Hamer ML. Probably only the only other headstock that would’ve worked with that shape other than the dean headstock. 

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Especially since Mr. Zelenski blatantly copied the early Hamers...two wrongs don't make a right!  :D

The V and Z, yes. But the Cadillac being half explorer and half Les Paul just worked for some reason...

3 hours ago, jim777 said:

I haven't asked him but I wouldn't be surprised if his company (Solar) comes out with something similar to the ML with a reverse headstock soon.

Gosh, I pray for this. Watch the fur FLY, hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa..!

8 hours ago, RobB said:

Gosh, I pray for this. Watch the fur FLY, hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa..!

Well, the shape would be tweaked a bit, and all of the Solars have reverse headstocks now. I don't think there would be an issue? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you

1 minute ago, jim777 said:

Well, the shape would be tweaked a bit, and all of the Solars have reverse headstocks now. I don't think there would be an issue? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you

You are. I meant no disrespect to Solar. I was jokingly referring to possible litigation. Seems to be going around these days. 

3 hours ago, RobB said:

You are. I meant no disrespect to Solar. I was jokingly referring to possible litigation. Seems to be going around these days. 

Oh, no worries at all dude, and you are absolutely right on the litigation point. The last few months have been especially nutty! Solar is a pretty new company that makes a very attractive guitar for younger (and older) metal guys looking for a specific set of specs who are also ok with Korean guitars, so I'd actually be surprised if anyone here had ever heard of them :)

ML is the name Dean Zelinsky gave to his half Explorer half Flying V that he did at the start of his company Dean Guitars in 1977. Story goes he named it after a friend Matt Lawrence who passed away when they were kids. Here is a 2004 example. Dimebag Darrell was synonymous with the guitar. He won a new 1978 ML when he was 13 in a Dallas guitar playing contest and it was with him his whole life after that.

2004doaml1.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

D4ggKSl.png

Different blue dress tho 😆

Different dress, and  what, maybe 65 year old neck and hands? Nice of Kim Il Sung to get in the shot too! :)

Archived