Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cool but pricey Sunburst

A little off topic, but Hamer must have sourced some boards of that flame (quilt???) mahogany back in that era.  I have a 95' Duotone that has that same flame/quilt on in the (mahogany)body.  It is pretty amazing in person.  I haven't seen too many Hamers with that much figuring in the mahogany.  Now back on topic...I will confess my first impulse was "Is this bogus?  Would Hamer ever use wood supplied by the customer?" but after looking at the pictures of the correspondence with Jim (assuming Allen) it reaffirmed my belief that with Hamer sometimes things that you'd swear would get shot down 99 times out of 100 just might actually happen once if the right person possessing the right persuasion asked at the right time .

I would not be the one to ask and determine IF it is real or not but I'm not a fan of that guitar.....................the ZEBRAWOOD does not do anything for me. I would much sooner have a nice flame top anyday. And as a follow up, at that price...................well that is quite outrageous. One of one may make it special to someone ..............but not to me.

Personally, I just don’t get black binding with a dark fretboard wood. The contrast just isn’t enough for me. I like the black binding with the mahogany/zebrawood (love examples of black binding with mahogany/Koa I’ve seen). 

I’m sure this is a killer playing and sounding guitar but some of the choices on custom touches don’t align with my reasoning. 

Archived