Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Go to the grave guitars?

Greg G

Do you have a guitar you would never part with?  For me it’s my ‘64 SG Jr.  My GAS is pretty much in check due to advancing age and declining abilities but there are a few “if ever one one of these comes up” guitars that are on my radar.  Is there an instrument that you would never let go of?

Can't play the guitar once yer dead, son.

I'll hold on to a few Hamers Cali's, my HEL Spitfire and possibly the FWAM until I can't play them half decently (I'm pretty much there anyway) and then they get sold. Who knows, the way things are goin', maybe by then, they will have been salvaged for electronic parts and firewood well before. :P

7 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

After 40 years, I think my LP is a keeper.

Tim the Enchanter.  Love it.  I took a film class in college and everyone wrote their final analysis of films like Citizen Kane.  I wrote mine on Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I got a measly B+ but what the heck.

They’re just wood and wire, acquired with labor and used for pleasure. But still... the 1935 Biltmore archtop, I feel like I’m a custodian of history. It’ll go to someone who respects that history. 

Yes. My 85 Red & Black Scepter will NEVER be sold by me.  It has been thru all kinds of mayhem, recordings & performances.

When I cannot play it there is a spot on the wall to hang it.  It will be left to my Sons who will encounter a nightly upset Ghost should they sell it...haha

This is the one I've always said would be the last one should it ever come to that. It was my first (but certainly not my last) foray into MIJ guitars, and I started with a bang. 2003 Tokai LS-320. It was the top of the line at the time and spec'd similar to an R9 w/ Brazilian RW fretboard. It plays low and smooth and has a tone that is pure LP to me. I now have a few other single cuts that come close to this one, but for a long time everything just paled in comparison.

spacer.png

A close second would be my 2005 Revelator T built when Eric was still taking custom orders to a Marc Ford tribute. I got luck and snagged this one when it was done. Eric is no fun to deal with as others here will agree. But he really got this one right. 

spacer.png

I sold the bulk of my collection, as many HFCers already know, some years ago, particularly for "mortality reasons." I still have four instruments custom-ordered by me + two N.O.S. rare birds that were given to me + one utility guitar + one utility bass + about seven instruments that are used in lectures or speeches as "token examples". If and when something happens to me, the Missus and the Princess have written instructions what to do with 'em; they can handle that number. Better than burdening my family with the 97 instruments (the high point) I used to own. 

I'll be 70 in ten months...

19 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I sold the bulk of my collection, as many HFCers already know, some years ago, particularly for "mortality reasons." I still have four instruments custom-ordered by me + two N.O.S. rare birds that were given to me + one utility guitar + one utility bass + about seven instruments that are used in lectures or speeches as "token examples". If and when something happens to me, the Missus and the Princess have written instructions what to do with 'em; they can handle that number. Better than burdening my family with the 97 instruments (the high point) I used to own. 

I'll be 70 in ten months...

I have a list of who gets what, when I expire...

My Charvel 650xl

It was my first pro level guitar, a gift from my dad when I was 13. If my son doesn’t want it and I go early I told @JGravelin it’ll go to him because of the phenomenal pickups he wound for it. 

Next would be my ‘94 Mirage, also a gift from my dad. 

11 hours ago, RobB said:

They are all getting a solemn Viking funeral on Lake Tahoe.

Under a full moon.

In October.

None more metal.

Lake Tahoe is as metal as you could come up with? Really? I was going to give this the Dethklok stamp of approval, but then I thought, "Tahoe - none more metal," and just couldn't...

3 hours ago, RobB said:

Lake Merritt, then. Happy now?

I feel like you can’t do it anywhere other than the Dead Sea...

5 hours ago, Travis said:

I feel like you can’t do it anywhere other than the Dead Sea...

Problem with that is the damn thing will just float, and someone will grab it... and be Grateful.

Archived