Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wireless guitar transmitters

BubbaVO

Question

I'm getting a lot of ads for wireless guitar transmitters from the $40-$80 dollar range.  The wife hates seeing cables lying around.  I'm temped to get a set and see how it goes, but have you guys got any experience with these kinds of units?  Or should I just save the money. 

11 answers to this question

I haven't seen any for that cheap, but I use a Line 6 G50 and it works great.  However, I only use it at gigs.  The "cables lying around" problem at home is part and parcel of marrying a guitarist IMHO.  I wouldn't burn up batteries to play wireless sitting 5-10 feet from my amp at home.  When I play with people who use a wireless even at practice I wonder why?

7 minutes ago, tommy p said:

The "cables lying around" problem at home is part and parcel of marrying a guitarist IMHO

Lol.  1). I was a piano player when she married me. And 2) some of these products are sporting rechargeable batteries.

Old akg bug style and several other low priced wireless are no longer legal to use on their bandwidth. The sherriff will eventually come after youve played hot licks for hours over the aux emergency bandwidth. Dont ask me how I know this

59 minutes ago, it's me HHB said:

Old akg bug style and several other low priced wireless are no longer legal to use on their bandwidth. The sherriff will eventually come after youve played hot licks for hours over the aux emergency bandwidth. Dont ask me how I know this

I read about this a couple of years ago. The change in FCC regs seriously screwed over a bunch of folks. Some of that gear is in the thousands of dollars. Government can't even manage radio signal policy without screwing everyone over.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, tommy p said:

When I play with people who use a wireless even at practice I wonder why?

Back when I did that sort of thing, I always used my wireless. I had a habit of, um, moving around a bit. Tripping over cables was occasionally problematic. Even in rehearsals. :ph34r:

Bubba, the uber-cheap stuff is probably not gonna be worth it at any price unless you get lucky. This Sennheiser system used at DGS might be something to consider.

https://davesguitar.com/products/sennheiser/ew100-g2-wireless-receiver/

It says 'receiver' in the listing, but clearly the transmitter appears to be part of it. Just make sure it includes antennas and the power supply.

spacer.png

Is this simply for being around the house playing?  If so and you don't want the bigger unit with pack to attach to a strap, I'd say go for an Xvive or a Carvin unit.  They both seem to work as reasonably well as I would expect them to.  They're each in the $150 range.  Sweetwater has the Xvive and I'm sure if they had too many returns or complaints about them, they'd stop carrying them.  

I've used the Xvive for about two years.  You can find them used every once in a while for $100.  Charge lasts for about five hours and anyone that tells you about another unit being sonically better will help you spend more money for results you can't hear.  But my ears are nearly 58 years old... 

20 hours ago, The Shark said:

I've used the Xvive for about two years.  You can find them used every once in a while for $100.  Charge lasts for about five hours and anyone that tells you about another unit being sonically better will help you spend more money for results you can't hear.  But my ears are nearly 58 years old... 

I've been eyeballing those Xvive's... They have really good reviews.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-XVI-U2-LIST

12 hours ago, DaveH said:

I've been eyeballing those Xvive's... They have really good reviews.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-XVI-U2-LIST

I've had one for a while. If you use a 2.4Ghz wireless router in your home you may experience some drops in the wireless connection. They're not, imho, built well but the do funtion as advertised. The AKG WMS works better. Pair that with some rechargable batteries and you've got a nice little rig.

Two of us have used the Xvives in a band rehearsal room with a router for the XR18 mixer and no issues.  I did however, turn down the power of the 2.4GHz band just because most devices today will use 5GHz (except maybe some of the wireless printers).   Unless you have something that you know can't use 5GHz or have a router without 5GHz, you can turn off 2.4GHz.  

Archived