Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Is/Would Your Other Collection Be?

joshoowah

I was thinking about collections and precious objects, thanks to a few recent threads here, and had an interesting (to me) question for you all:

If you collected something else, besides guitars/amps/pedals/regrets, maybe music-related, maybe not, what would it be?

As a student of luthierie, I already have this one started: I love blueprints of iconic, unique and important guitars. If I could get my hands on them, I'd have most of my hovel wallpapered in each of Chinery's Blue Guitars, especially the D'Aquistos! I have blueprints entirely drawn by me from measurements and examinations of guitars in hand (as well as those of my own design, obviously) and mass-printed purchased blueprints, but I'd love to have originals from the builder's own hand. Even just a sketch with notes... I'm as obsessed with the process as the finished product, but to see Jimmy's sketches and the evolution of something like his Acutone "stick" bridge design, well, that'd be pretty frigging cool! I'd love to get accurate prints of Manzer's Picasso guitars, too. They just fascinate me to no end! My guitar art-reference library is equally advanced (can you ever have too many coffee table books with exquisite photography of priceless sculpture?), though I might need to get a new copy of the Ultimate signed by a couple of y'all...

I also have a weakness for old woodworking hand tools (especially Bedrock planes and Millers Falls egg-beater drills and drivers), but I use all of them - they aren't display pieces or intended as investments.

What about you? What else do you/would you collect? Obviously, I have my lottery-exotic car fantasies, too, but this thread isn't about those universal pipe-dreams or waking up to the Mona Lisa's smile in your villa on the Riviera.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

If you collected something else, besides guitars/amps/pedals/regrets, maybe music-related, maybe not, what would it be?

Records, old guitar magazines.

I used to collect cameras, and hi-fi turntables. Sold off cameras fifteen years ago and most of my turntables ten years ago. Sort of regret selling a lot of the turntables, but they just take up a lot of space.

1 hour ago, joshoowah said:

As a student of luthierie

Who do you belong to?

I'm still a student and fan of Pop Culture, but I'm at the age where my 'collecting' days are all but over.  I still pursue 'things' of interest, but they're not very expensive, don't need much maintenance if any, and don't take up much space.  My big 'hobby' right now is in weeding out stuff I don't use, and have little interest in keeping anymore, I still have boxes of stuff in storage from my Military days that hasn't seen the light of day in 15 years, that I need to rummage through!  I don't want my stuff to wind up going to relatives that have no idea of the significance of what I have (if there is any), and could care less about unless it was worth money, kinda like this...BTW, you don't have to be rich to have lots of stuff (anybody watch the TV show Hoarders?):

The Chinery Collection got broken up after he died, hopefully sold to people who have an idea of the significance of the stuff he gathered together; but of course The Chinery Collection is no longer 'together' and probably never will be again.

As well as various guitars, Amps etc., it would be motorcycles for me if I could ride them any more.  No feeling in the world quite like the adrenaline/endorphin/both rush from the brutal acceleration you get from just about any modern four-cylinder bike with 600cc & upwards engine size.  Bloody hell, I miss that. If I was able bodied and wealthy I'd have a garage-full of them

I wouldn't consider it a collection, but somehow I ended up with about a dozen shovels.

Intended collections include magazines and newspapers with covers of significant events, lots of sports cards from years ago, a very small collection of guns and several knives, old photographs, shoes, watches, and darts.  More my wife than me, but I maintain a unusually large collection of dogs.

I don't collect camera gear any more than I collect guitars, but I have excess. 

I play a lot of golf. Starting in about 1998, I began collecting MacGregor persimmon drivers. I wound up with at least one of every (men's) driver model that MacGregor produced from 1939 to 1964. It was about 280 golf clubs and I was into it about $12K. Had about 150 of them on display in my home office. When I got divorced in 2008, I sold the collection to a guy in Los Angeles for $2K. Took me most of a day to pack them in boxes. I kept 2 of them that were ones that I had played with back in the 80's. Somewhere there's a picture of the office display.

Comix-Mostly underground/indie from 60's-90's. Not actively collecting anymore but I will pick up the occasional graphic novel. I like the recent translations of Shigeru Mizuki and Jaques Tardi.

CDs-Still have an assload that I'm slowly trading for credit at local record shops. I'm up to the "C's", and have a long way to go...

LPs/45s-This is ongoing, as I'm replacing my, "essential", CD albums with vinyl. I wish I hadn't sold all of my wax in the 90's!

6 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

I have an International Scout and a 68 IH Pickup. I really fight the urge to collect, that is why I purge so much. 

And here I am thinking you have the largest collection of Bober related amplifiers in the country. 

When are you getting an IH Travelall?

Space history memorabilia, if I could afford it.

I do have a lot of unused publicity stickers from the Apollo, Skylab, and Apollo-Soyuz days. Come to think of it, they're around the same age as the two unused stickers I have from Dark Side of the Moon.

The key word for affluent collectors in this niche is "flown." 

I ended up with a collection of vintage Kaywoodie pipes and vintage typewriters, but it's only because I was buying and selling them on eBay and I ended up with a lot that I never sold. I'll eventually sell them if/when I get the time. However, the only thing I consciously collect because they're a source of inspiration and professional reference in my work are art books. I have a large library of art books, children's books, and fiction from the golden age of pulp. I have a lot of comics I bought as a kid, but I'll eventually get around to selling a lot of them. 

If I could collect anything I wanted (assuming money were not an issue), it'd probably be vintage cars, though I'd only get them if I could drive them. I see no point in collecting things just to sit around collecting dust.

11 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

And here I am thinking you have the largest collection of Bober related amplifiers in the country. 

When are you getting an IH Travelall?

I hope I do not end up with a Travelall, but it would round out the collection. LOL

After making a commitment last year to step up my auto maintenance/repair game, I had to seriously expand my tool inventory.  And in researching what to get, I found that quite a bit of new tool production is junk or nearly so, and what isn't junk is mostly expensive.  Older tools, though, made here in North America or in Europe, are generally much more durable, and can be much more affordable if you keep looking for good examples.  That can be a serious rabbit hole if you let it.  I'm trying not to let it, although I did pick up a local craigslist offering of a set of Snap On tool chests from 1961 (the roller) and 1990 (the topper) that I've begun refurbishing to contain the overflow from previous capacity.

Somewhere between collecting and accumulating we find the happy land of using a lot of quality stuff for our hobbies and needs.  Tools, stereo equipment, records and CDs (and all my mixed tapes from the 80s!), motorcycles, books, Legos, cars* and headphones.  How many friggin' pairs of headphones do I have?

Oh, and fountain pens.  These days, $60 and up will get you a quality fountain pen.  I write a good 3-5 pages of notes and thoughts daily, mostly for work.  Fountain pens are as diverse as guitars when it comes to nib styles, sizes, methods of holding ink, etc.  My two daily pens are both italic-nibbed (can't write any other way):

TWSBI Diamond 580

Image result for twsbi diamond 580

and a Conklin Duragraph:

Image result for Conklin duragraph

*we're actually down to 4 cars, which is manageable.  Two are under 100k miles!

3 hours ago, Hbom said:

When I was a kid I collected rocks.

When I got older guns.

Then guitars.

Now dust.

The "dust" comment got me thinking...  We could all tell people that we collect atoms from the very birth of the universe and the forging of the stars in the sky.  :) 

We just do a shit job of finding specific ones.  ;) 

If I didn't have guitars I would probably have a '57 Nomad or tricked out '59 Chevy Sedan Delivery. Always wanted one or the other. Although a nice 1977 Firebird Redbird with a sweet motor would be nice too. Wait, how about a 1969 El Camino? :blink:

Archived