Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Is/Would Your Other Collection Be?

joshoowah

I have a big comic book collection (mostly 60's-80's stuff), art books. I also have quite much drawing and painting utensils. I had a nice collection of carnivorous plants once. I have some CD/DVD stuff too, but it is just a small collection compared to what I have seen by other people.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I collect guitars.  I collected comic books as a kid.  Both took all my justifiable disposable income.  I mowed yards as a kid.  In Florida, that can be very lucrative.  The comic collection went for 26K about fifteen years ago.  All Marvel.  

The guitars will go one by one.  I'm guessing arthritis or somebody in the band dying will trigger that purge.

As a senior citizen, I'm going to collect nothing.  Just run out the clock.

I can't really say records, since I got them because that's where the music is, innit?  If I were to unload the mountain o' guitars, I'd likely go to work expanding/completing my collection of WW II battle rifles.

If I really had my druthers and the money, I'd collect those cantankerous unreliable and yet somehow appealing little English sports cars from the 1960s.  A Jag or a big Healy would be nice but I'm drawn to the MG's, Triumphs and such that you had to blow up the tires because the wire wheel spokes worked loose and punctured the inner tubes, the electrics are a completely non-functional mystery and you have to steer them with your butt.  I reckon 3 or 4 of those qualifies as a collection.  A Sunbeam Tiger would be the crown jewel for me.

I can't say I collect, but I have a collection of fountain pens that I use regularly.  The same is true for watches - I have several that I wear.  There are several more I'd like to acquire if/when the budget permits.

It's easier to justify a purchase if I say this is something that I will use regularly.  That was also my justification for having more than one guitar!

8 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

If I really had my druthers and the money, I'd collect those cantankerous unreliable and yet somehow appealing little English sports cars from the 1960s.  A Jag or a big Healy would be nice but I'm drawn to the MG's, Triumphs and such that you had to blow up the tires because the wire wheel spokes worked loose and punctured the inner tubes, the electrics are a completely non-functional mystery and you have to steer them with your butt.  I reckon 3 or 4 of those qualifies as a collection.  A Sunbeam Tiger would be the crown jewel for me.

Hard to believe that during the same period that the Brits were giving us the iconic circuits that defined so much of classic rock tone heaven (Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, not to mention the work of people like George Martin, Roger Mayer and Eddie Kramer), Lucas Electrics plagued their cars, from crappy little commuters to full-on sportscars! Excellence in British engineering was on full display in one industry while it guaranteed misery in another... bizarre.

Comic books most likely. But more and more, I'm in a downsizing/jettison mind frame. Everything including a few of my prized guitars is fodder for clearing out.

Actually, I kinda do/did. I saved just about every comic book I bought from the early-mid 1970's on. Amassed a sizeable collection. The problem is, I didn't buy comics to collect back then- they got read and re-read and most are in pretty non-collectable condition. Once I realized that you could actually make money with, and that collecting was a legit thing to do with 'em (I almost spat out my beer when I saw how much some of the Silver Age books- in mint condition- I owned were commanding), I started to bag and back  'em and catalog them but I still couldn't move away from not reading 'em. It just doesn't compute to buy a book and not read it. I don't think I have a single issue or series that is mint/never been read.

Still trying to determine what, if any, $ my current assortment might command.

I never really collected comic books. But I bought a ton of them and kept most. They went missing after I went into the air force in '69. My folks moved. I never thought about it much.

Years later, while back in Michigan on a visit, my nephew was bragging up his comic collection. While looking through it, I couldn't help notice how many of his  comics were just like the ones I had owned.

I can't prove it or even say that I really care. After all, I did pretty much abandon everything I left when I left.  But I doubt I'll ever get passed the thought that my brother, who never spent a dime on comic books and laughed at me because I did, may have snuck off with a couple hundred books and never admitted to it.

I've never been much of a collector.  I prefer to travel (and not travel) light.  The guitars just piled up and before I realized it, I had a collection.  

Of course I've had other hobbies, and have had a few muscle cars, but I don't think owning one car at a time can be called a collection.  

21 hours ago, Hbom said:

I never really collected comic books. But I bought a ton of them and kept most. They went missing after I went into the air force in '69. My folks moved. I never thought about it much.

Years later, while back in Michigan on a visit, my nephew was bragging up his comic collection. While looking through it, I couldn't help notice how many of his  comics were just like the ones I had owned.

I can't prove it or even say that I really care. After all, I did pretty much abandon everything I left when I left.  But I doubt I'll ever get passed the thought that my brother, who never spent a dime on comic books and laughed at me because I did, may have snuck off with a couple hundred books and never admitted to it.

To my folk's credit, they let my belongings languish in the house until such time as I was able to sink roots and establish a permanent residence... which didn't happen until I was in my late 40's and married. 😆 There were 5 or 6 document storage boxes full of comics waiting for me when I finally went over to claim my crap. Now they sit in my basement.  :P  Waiting to work up the nerve to finally be rid of them. Such a significant part of my youth and my decision to pursue art lay in those dog-eared books.

I have a lot of hardcover sci-fi from decades past when I read a lot (pre-matrimony - coincidence?). Select authors, mostly hard sci-fi, 1940s to 1990s. Once my favorite authors passed on (or worse, started to write fantasy) I lost the urge to keep up.
Now I look at the bookshelf and wonder if I want to keep this stuff. In my thirties I told myself I'd re-read them all one day, but these days I fell too busy doin' nuthin' to invest time in an old book. Plus I'll know how it ends...

As a bass player, my 'other' collection is guitars, keyboards, and guitar amps. Realistically I can't play any of this stuff - why do i need 5 keyboards and 3 rack synths? Or 6 guitars?

Sell, sell, sell! It’s hard to let go, but it feels great to unburden oneself. Used bookshops will give you pennies on the dollar, and you don’t wanna do eBay with multiple books. 

Donate the books to a library and take the tax write off. 

Do the rest on reverb. I’ve got four guitars coming up for sale and I’ll still end up with more than you, haha!

I've got a ludicrously huge collection of guitar picks from famous players and promos picked up over the last 40 years.  I got my first pick handed to me by Nokie Edwards of the Ventures as a middle school kid going to my first show with my Dad.  Steve and I were underage so had to sit on the stage next to the band's amps/guitars so the club manager "could keep his eye on us".

:D

14 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Steve and I were underage so had to sit on the stage next to the band's amps/guitars so the club manager "could keep his eye on us".

:D

He was right to do so. 😉😆

On 9/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

Space history memorabilia, if I could afford it.

OT, but speaking of "flown" and as a spaceflight fan, what do you think of the "other moon watch" - The Bulova Lunar Chrono?  I learned about this just a few weeks back:  https://wornandwound.com/review/moon-watch-bulova-lunar-pilot-chronograph-review/

On 9/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, Hbom said:

Hopefully your nephew is a good egg.  While I'd like to say I'm more enlightened than that, I think that would take the sting off a little for me.

Shotguns.  Guitars take precedence but I would love to have some nice shotguns.  Unfortunately, the last time I was talking to a shotgun salesman, he presented me with a price that interfered with my guitar money, so I have cheap shotguns. 

2 hours ago, bigolsparky said:

Shotguns.  Guitars take precedence but I would love to have some nice shotguns.  Unfortunately, the last time I was talking to a shotgun salesman, he presented me with a price that interfered with my guitar money, so I have cheap shotguns. 

Funny, I have that same problem when I talk with guitar and amp salespeople.

Hello I collect rare and obscure rock and roll songs I have 2605 on a couple 32 gig flash drives. have 1 for back up. Had 2 for back up but i left one at my friends studio last time i was out there. So he is taking care of it for me. The ultimate DJ flash drive man. A lot of the songs are very obscure. And a lot of them not so much. But they are mostly bands you probably never heard of. I still have a little over 5 gigs of space on my flash drives. Flash drives are cool as hell man

I like to collect knowledge in my head about musicians, bands and that sort of thing. A walking wikipedia on rock and roll sort of. I don't know it all by any means but probably more than the average guy. Music is the coolest thing on the planet IMO.

22 hours ago, benjammin308 said:

Cars.  If I had real money it would be a real problem.  Fortunately (?) it's not.

I have a collection of books about the cars I'll never own... mostly red, Italian, and older than me (the cars, not the books)!

Archived