Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Is/Would Your Other Collection Be?

joshoowah

On 9/16/2019 at 9:25 AM, sixesandsevens said:

Synthesizers

So sorry to hear it's much worse than guitar collecting. At least guitar doesn't go obsolete - not yet anyway. I still have my 90s midi monster 50 spaces of rack gear and 7-8 keyboards all for the most part now worthless, obsolete or dead. I just started going thru it all testing and replacing dead internal batteries ect getting ready for fire sale.  I threw an Akai S3200XL sampler in the trash. That hurt it was like $1500 sampler when I bought it. 

I wanna dump all this stuff because I've got the modular bug. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/22/2019 at 2:31 AM, tomteriffic said:

I can't really say records, since I got them because that's where the music is, innit?  If I were to unload the mountain o' guitars, I'd likely go to work expanding/completing my collection of WW II battle rifles.

If I really had my druthers and the money, I'd collect those cantankerous unreliable and yet somehow appealing little English sports cars from the 1960s.  A Jag or a big Healy would be nice but I'm drawn to the MG's, Triumphs and such that you had to blow up the tires because the wire wheel spokes worked loose and punctured the inner tubes, the electrics are a completely non-functional mystery and you have to steer them with your butt.  I reckon 3 or 4 of those qualifies as a collection.  A Sunbeam Tiger would be the crown jewel for me.

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.  Why do the British drink warm beer?  Refrigerators from Lucas.  Etc, etc

On 9/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Have any former state governors ever offered you a moon rock? 

yeah, there was just a huge scandal for selling bags with moon dust that could have wiped out our planet with million-year-old pathogens, but its in a rock-n-roll bar now where it is safe. so move along... 

On 9/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, Devnor said:

So sorry to hear it's much worse than guitar collecting. At least guitar doesn't go obsolete - not yet anyway. I still have my 90s midi monster 50 spaces of rack gear and 7-8 keyboards all for the most part now worthless, obsolete or dead. I just started going thru it all testing and replacing dead internal batteries ect getting ready for fire sale.  I threw an Akai S3200XL sampler in the trash. That hurt it was like $1500 sampler when I bought it. 

Yes it is. I got interested in them maybe 5 years ago. Maybe a little longer. Long enough that I could have probably grabbed a Korg polysix or one of the Juno's for an almost reasonable price.

Given that there is a renewed interest in the DX7, maybe there is hope for the rest of your soon-to-be vintage digital gear.  After all, the converters had a certain something about them back then...  ;)

Regarding modular, if you're just looking for something cool to look at and fiddle with, by all means do it. My problem with modular is that the music most people make is always the same... kind of like the way dumpsters all smell the same.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:27 PM, Devnor said:

That tiny Euro-crap?
For a Moog wanna-be try https://www.synthesizers.com/
It's a rabbit hole that terrifies me.

Archived