Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC: Ric Ocasek of the Cars dead at 75 in NY

16 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Actually it was a Halloween costume with a photo taken just prior to a Halloween party, for those looking for any sense of accuracy. 

Next time wear it TO the Halloween party, not to ComiCon.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kizanski said:

That's what his high school yearbook says - lol.

So journalistic integreity comes down to what some public high school teenagers decided 56 years ago.

Just now, Studio Custom said:

I did, as I explained already.  Do you have a case of the stupids? 

Yeah, I bought bulk at the BJ's. It was in the isle marked "Joe's Picks."
Don't worry, though. You're nowhere near running out.

Just now, JohnnyB said:

So journalistic integrity comes down to what some public high school teenagers decided 56 years ago.

I don't think they got to decide what year they were living in.  If we're allowed to do that, I want a do-over!

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

No, your prices are very reasonable. But you get what you pay for, as they say.

You talked a big battle like you were going to shoot an impressive web, turned out to be dribble that resembled oatmeal.  I felt bad and had to offer you a discount for such a pitiful outcome. 

1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

You talked a big battle like you were going to shoot an impressive web, turned out to be dribble that resembled oatmeal.

I often play to the competition. When you deserve my best, you'll get it.

29 minutes ago, The Shark said:

Man, I go play golf in the afternoon and look what I missed!

You definitely got the better of the two. :D

2 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Can we pick?

I "Guess" no pun intended.

Hamerica

3 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Randy Bachman or Burt Cummings?

Hamerica

Can we pick?

How about a randy Bach and Bert Parks?

spacer.png  

So... how old was he? I remember looking him up years ago, and even then there was "uncertainty", which I find mind boggling for anyone born after the great depression.

Right now, if you look at the wikipedia page, there is a raging discussion over his age, and the page keeps flip flopping between 1949 and 1944 as his birth year.

Wow. Fascinating yet disturbing detours around here sometimes. 🙃

Ric and Ben both lied about their ages when the band was breaking. Almost certainly with record company encouragement and assistance*. Ric would say 29 when he was 34, because breaking a band whose front person(s) were over 30 was difficult to impossible. I'm sure there are many 'official' references put out as publicity going back to when they were first signed, after a few years, it didn't matter, but who the hell would bother to make a point of correcting it? They had been in a succession of acts from around 1970 on, mostly together, some separate. They got Elliott for Cap'n Swing and when that didn't quite happen, they got David and remade it into The Cars. Would not surprise me if Elliott is 8-10 years younger.

Can't blame the 'journalists' (sloppy as the contemporary ones are) too much on this (other than the noted inability to add). When you're trying to beat other outlets for a story, they run with just about anything now, corrections rarely matter and are buried anyway if they even bother. Not like they would do any serious investigation of his age when the story is breaking.

The people screeching on jerkipedia are probably in their 20's and clueless.

* - Shocking that record company people of any era would lie, no? 🤑 I remember being in a 'seminar' 🙄 with some record company broad in 1984 where she claimed to have 'discovered' The Cars by 'scouring the clubs' every night. Factually, the band got a lot of interest in a short time because they were unsigned and getting fairly regular airplay on WBCN in Boston with the original version of Just What I Needed. Don't know why she felt she needed to promote herself in that manner to a small room of Berklee tards, but as far as I can tell, record company people have a sociopathic, innate ability to continually lie about everything, all the time. I already had a distrust of, and disdain for, these people by that age, yet I still spent the next 12 years trying to get their attention enough to have them promote me, as there weren't other options. If you wanted to be a rock star like The Cars, these were the dirtbags you had to deal with. No way around it. If A&R people had any personality, they would have been politicians instead. Every time I hear about the 'music industry' having difficulty with anything, I always feel that it could not have happened to a more deserving collection of so-called people.

Ultimately, absolutely none of that matters. Ric was like 40 and got to nail 18-year-old Paulina and continue doing so for many years. It just does not get much better than that. Everything ends eventually. Well done, sir. Nice ride.

Man, did this thread go off the rails.  I was going to write a fond remembrance of The Cars early years and their influence on my guitar playing, but nah...  I wrote it on Facebook instead.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-ric-ocasek-cause-of-death-20190916-557tp2bemff4rl45xrb4flouhe-story.html

Cars frontman Ric Ocasek died from hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, the city’s medical examiner said Monday.

Pulmonary emphysema was also a contributing factor in the 75-year-old singer’s death, the medical examiner added.

The “You Might Think” rocker was found in bed in his E. 19th St. home by his estranged supermodel wife, Paulina Porizkova, about 4 p.m. Sunday , police sources said.

Police said at the time that they did not suspect foul play.

When I was in junior high, I would fake being sick as often as I could get away with so I could go home and try to play along with that first record.

More...
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ric-ocasek-death-surgery/

Ric Ocasek's estranged wife said that the Cars frontman was recovering from a medical procedure when he suddenly died. She found the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee unresponsive on Sunday in his Manhattan townhouse.

"Ric was at home recuperating very well after surgery," Paulina Porizkova said on Facebook. "Our two sons, Jonathan and Oliver, and I were making sure he was comfortable, ordering food and watching TV together. I found him still asleep when bringing him his Sunday coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night, he had peacefully passed on."

There's been no official word on Ocasek's health issues, or what kind of surgery he was recovering from at the time of his death. Porizkova makes it clear, however, that Ocasek was expected to make a full recovery.

This one hurts. Ric was the focal point of a great band, with each member making vital contributions. But great musicians can only go so far without great songs, and Ric provided these, while the whole band gave them life.

For all the lewd comments about Ric and his widow, grow up fellas.

And for those thinking Ric's relationship with his wife gives you hope to date a supermodel, well no, it doesn't. 

Archived