Hamer Fan Club Message Center

CITES Update

Mr. Dave

The lifting of CITES restrictions on the movement of Rosewood in completed instruments parts & accessories is due to come into effect in late November this year according to this article https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species one species of Rosewood that the CITES restrictions will not be lifted on is the Brazillian variety.  I'm just wondering if this means there will still be cumbersome beaurocracy & paperwork  to navigate where you're expected to prove the rosewood in your instrument or instruments isn't Brazillian. That would be bloody great wouldn't it? At least the regulations are being changed though.  I can't help wondering why somebody somewhere isn't planning on farming Dalbergia Nigra industrially in a responsible & sustainable manner, allowing it to legally & ethically reach the marketplace again without the endangerment of a species and the price gouging for the wood..

Honestly, I don't think banning Brazilian rosewood has done a damned thing to actually help stop deforestation. If anything, it took what was a valuable commodity, and turned it into scrap, so they just burn it now.

I don't care what they do.  I'll only ship within the Continental USA.  And I'll only buy from outside the USA, if I can just have the guitar delivered to my office.  CITES is a joke, if you take into account the stated and intended "benefit" to the "planet". 

Archived