Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best comp in a multi FX

Brooks

Hi Gang,

I've got a new project that's doing old school 60s/70s country. I use a MJT/Warmoth strat thru a '65 DRRI. Currently using a Zoom G2 for slapback delay, occasional light OD & EQ tweaks, and a comp for solos. It also has a "slow gear" swell effect, which is great for pedal steel licks! But, the comp is not great.

I want to avoid a pedal board and keep things simple. I realize that something stand alone like a Carl Martin or Wampler Ego would sound best, but like I said, I want to stay with an all-in-one multi FX.

Who has the best natural sounding comp in a multi FX?

PS - I'm thinking <$300 USD. So Helix / AxeFX etc is not gonna be cost effective for delays and a comp.

I don't think the device you want exists in your budget. It sounds like you rely on the Zoom for the country gig. Make it easy on yourself and get compressor and be done with it. How much more simple can two pedals be?

Or, try to find a Yamaha DG Stomp. $200, give or take a few.

23 hours ago, RobB said:

How much more simple can two pedals be?

Ummm, 1 pedal? I hate pedalboards, had many bad situations w/ 'em. But thx scottcald & HHB for your reading comprehension, ha

Messed w/ the G2 for awhile this afternoon, after backing down the compression threshold and creating pickup specific EQ patches, I think I can live with it for awhile. If not, maybe I will buy a few online that I can try out side by side for a month then return the ones that don't do it for me. I had a Magicstomp years ago, it was al'ight.

14 hours ago, RobB said:

Jerry: "Was that a shot?"

George: "Oh, it was a shot, Jerry! It was DEFinitely a shot!"

As a fellow GC alum, this should grind your gears a bit:

16 hours ago, Brooks said:

maybe I will buy a few online that I can try out side by side for a month then return the ones that don't do it for me.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, BadgerDave said:

I believe the Keeley Memphis Sun may be just what you're looking for.

That is a super cool lofi pedal!! If it comes down to getting a comp pedal I have to thro the Barber Compressor new or old style into the mix. Parallel guitar compression can be really cool dialed in... 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:07 PM, it's me HHB said:

I like the one in the hd400

Yeah man, Right On.

They’re def in the price range, and I always thought that was one of the best layouts of that series, for gigging. Still had all the effects (like the very important Verbzilla ‘Octo’ setting, haha) but also retained the most functional knobs.

Brooks, it might be too bulky for what your looking for, but certainly sounds great.

Have you tried one?

I have not, but usually HHBs ears are a good litmus test.

agree that it would be too bulky; lately I like to throw all my gig stuff including my backup amp (quilter 101 head) in a milk crate, which I set my DRRI on top of.

I still have that Pod HD bean and Shortboard if you want to test em out. If you want to mess with my Zoom G5N and see how the comps on that compare to the older G2 you're welcome to try that out too.

I'm very happy with the Fractal Audio FX-8 running 4 cable method into either a Reverend Kingsnake 20/60 watt 1x12 combo amp or the Reverend Goblin 15/5 watt 1x12 combo amp (custom Mojotone 1x12 combo cab). I use the compressor a lot on that multi-effects processor and am happy with the sounds & options available on that floor processor. 

Guitar George

I'm not really a compressor guy, but I idolize a few of them.  I know Johnny Marr used a Diamond Compressor as his only stomp box, in front of a Boss GT-100 for several years.  When he moved up to the GT-1000, he finally got to the point where he could use the GT's built-in compressors.  Of course, YMMV... the Diamond is a soft opto-style compressor, and I assume you're looking for harder, country-style squish.

IMO, the compressor is crucial to the style you're playing.  Get a good one, and use the Zoom for the other stuff.  Two pedals isn't a pedalboard.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Brooks said:

Here's a quick video w/ audio from our 1st gig, this was before I tweaked the comp settings on my Zoom;

Honky Tonk Dance band!! Love it!! 

HX Stomp gives you access to all the compressors in the full blown Helix for a fraction of the price.  Lots of options - they are all excellent.

Archived