Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Best comp in a multi FX

Brooks

Thx for the replies guys, just found a TC Electronic Red Nova System used on guitarcenter.com for $139, gonna try that, will report (or retort) back later , ha

I don't like most compressors; went from a being settled on Bearfoot Pale Green to picking up a Thorpy Fat General. I don't know that I'd find my preferred kind of compressor in a multi at all. Still, your preferred type could be. Have you considered looking for the best compressor by a company that makes multi-FX, and getting that company's multi-fx? E.g. if you like Keeley compressors, they often have one in their combined boxes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, played w/ the Nova for a few days, a fairly sophisticated unit with decent ODs, tape/ping pong/ducking delays, diatonic harmonies, deep editing, etc... but then I set it up next to my Zoom (w/ recently tweaked down comp & EQ settings) and for what I'm using it for (slapback delay/slight comp & EQ, maybe a phaser or light OD on a few tunes), the Zoom sounded just as good. Returned the Nova.

12 hours ago, Brooks said:

Ok, played w/ the Nova for a few days, a fairly sophisticated unit with decent ODs, tape/ping pong/ducking delays, diatonic harmonies, deep editing, etc... but then I set it up next to my Zoom (w/ recently tweaked down comp & EQ settings) and for what I'm using it for (slapback delay/slight comp & EQ, maybe a phaser or light OD on a few tunes), the Zoom sounded just as good. Returned the Nova.

Isn't that always the way.  Just watched the Sweetwater interview with Al Di Meola and he was saying he pulled his old Marshall and liked the sound better than everything he's been using for the past 30 years.

Archived