Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Walter Becker Estate Sale

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

This set of 3 purple-coloured Hamer's was custom ordered by one of the HFC-members, if I am not mistaken, probably via BCR-Greg.

I think he has been one of the moderators of this forum

Stupid enough I forgot the (nick)name.

One of the Matthes-brother will know.

Gabe 😃

Wow, you’re right:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, Gabe said:

This set of 3 purple-coloured Hamer's was custom ordered by one of the HFC-members, if I am not mistaken, probably via BCR-Greg.

I think he has been one of the moderators of this forum

Stupid enough I forgot the (nick)name.

One of the Matthes-brother will know.

Gabe 😃

Yes.

i was at BCR ordering my Standard bass when they came in.

All beautiful guitars.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, burningyen said:

Wow, you’re right:

I never understood if he was a collector/trader only, or actually a guitar player. But he sure bought and sold a lot of fancy Hamer's her on the HFC. Those three were a custom order. Don't think he hardly ever played 'em before he sold them. 

1 hour ago, Disturber said:

I never understood if he was a collector/trader only, or actually a guitar player. But he sure bought and sold a lot of fancy Hamer's her on the HFC. Those three were a custom order. Don't think he hardly ever played 'em before he sold them. 

There are a lot of people that fit this description around.  I went to try out a 50 watt Marshall amp at guy's apartment over top his father's HVAC business once, he had at least 75 NOS Les Pauls on stands everywhere, to the point were walking was almost impossible, he could play maybe three chords.  He was selling his only amp to buy another Les Paul to stare at.  

"I went to try out a 50 watt Marshall amp at guy's apartment over top his father's HVAC business once, he had at least 75 NOS Les Pauls on stands everywhere, to the point were walking was almost impossible, he could play maybe three chords.  He was selling his only amp to buy another Les Paul to stare at. " 9Pr1pu0.jpg

•  

I am going through the list again and am just awed by the size of his collection.    Not a one in, one out guy.   How many lap steels could he possibly have needed.

I out some things on a watch list, although I will have no time on the Saturday auction day to watch.

Lap steels are something you collect like baseball cards. 

There is an Epiphone lap steel in that auction that is listed as being from the 40's.  If I remember correctly, it should be from 1938.  The three knob version only existed that year.  I had one like that, and sort of want it back... to stare at. 

Several things there I would love to own. Placed bids on a bunch of items. Already outbid on at least half of them....with a week and a half to go. To be honest, I very much doubt that I will win a single one. But I can dream.....I have no idea what sort of premium might be attached to him having owned select gear. I DO have a pretty good idea that the premium to me is just about zero.

But WTF, I still know a few folks in BH (some of whom I used to jam with or play with at charity fund raisers). If I DO "win" something, perhaps they can pick it up and hold it for me.

Not holding my breath......

There's a Julien's Live app for Apple but not Android.   I have a droid phone but an iPad.  I have been outbid on just about everything and don't intend to bid again until the live auction. I have never done a live on-line auction, but my son has and I will have to talk to him about this  I imagine with the number of items (2000?) that this will go quickly.

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

There's a Julien's Live app for Apple but not Android.   I have a droid phone but an iPad.  I have been outbid on just about everything and don't intend to bid again until the live auction. I have never done a live on-line auction, but my son has and I will have to talk to him about this  I imagine with the number of items (2000?) that this will go quickly.

Yeah, I was scratching my head as to how they could auction all 1,090 items in 2 days. They would have to spend at most 1-2 minutes on each item, which is an insane pace for a live auction. Then I read the fine print, which says that some items may not be auctioned live in the room. So I'm assuming some items will only be auctioned online. It'll still be a madhouse if all online items close at the same time.

21 hours ago, django49 said:

Several things there I would love to own. Placed bids on a bunch of items. Already outbid on at least half of them....with a week and a half to go. To be honest, I very much doubt that I will win a single one. But I can dream.....I have no idea what sort of premium might be attached to him having owned select gear. I DO have a pretty good idea that the premium to me is just about zero.

But WTF, I still know a few folks in BH (some of whom I used to jam with or play with at charity fund raisers). If I DO "win" something, perhaps they can pick it up and hold it for me.

Not holding my breath......

I know what you mean. I'm holding off on bidding until auction day. If ebay has taught me one thing, it's that if you give people time to think about it, they'll often talk themselves into spending more money. I've got my eye on a handful of oddball things. Maybe they'll fly under the radar. As for the price markup for genuine rock-star sweat... as the tear jerking commercials would say: "Less than the price of a cup of coffee." 

Just throwing it out there: it might be worth some communication here if any of us win. Shipping costs are a bit rougher than they used to be. It might be cost effective to just do a road trip if a few people share fuel costs!

On 10/6/2019 at 11:26 PM, Pieman said:

Not sure what you mean.  The on-line auction begins on October 18.

Is there a deadline for on-line bids?

I mean I should not post and sleep at the same time  :) or at least check some dates before...Same as speaking before thinking :) my fault.....

Archived