Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Walter Becker Estate Sale

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/24/2019 at 5:30 PM, The Shark said:

The "Terms and Conditions" state that the auction house gets 25% in addition to any winning bid.  That's a little steep. 

Anyone that can land one of those Ian Anderson Standards for under $3,500 is getting an incredible guitar.  The Strats are awesome too (under 2K).  The builder is, however, a jerk.

Plus, as I read it, the winner also pays a 3% fee for using the on-line service to bid. Wow. 28% mark up.  Plus NY and California sales taxes if picked up in CA or sent to NY.  

Not that I need a telecaster, but old Walter seemed to like Hahns and Glendales and 30th Street tellies.    When the description says  "modeled after a 1950s telecaster," do they mean body shape? and radius?   To me, these would have to be pretty cheap to bid without knowing what you are getting.   

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

When the description says  "modeled after a 1950s telecaster," do they mean body shape? and radius?   To me, these would have to be pretty cheap to bid without knowing what you are getting.

I know squat about 30th Street, but Glendale doesn't generally offer much in the way of options outside of neck carve, so you can bet what you'd get is essentially this:

"The Glendale Guitars are sure to turn some heads from pure tone alone. Neck Specs: Premium grade Flame Maple, Hard Rock Maple, & roasted Maple, 25 1/2" scale, 21 frets. One piece construction with a walnut skunkstripe. Shape: Elliptical V to C. Fretwire: 6105. Fretboard Radius: 9.5" Nut Material: Bone. Nut Width: 1 5/8" Tuning Machines: Vintage staggered - no string tree required. Bridge-Plate: Glendale Cold rolled steel or Stainless steel. Glendale Saddles: Intone Cutting Edge, Jack Cup: Glendale milled Jack cup, Pickguards: Black Bakelite or Parchment white, Control Configuration: Three-way pickup selector & modern wiring, Tone Cap: Glendale paper in oil, Pickups: Glendale, Finish: Nitrocellulose lacquer."

14 minutes ago, dhuber said:

I'd like to own those Milkman amps on the first page.  I don't know what this is.

327454_0.jpg

The Mother of all amps!

On 10/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, burningyen said:

Good to see you chime in here, Greg. Is there a story behind this build that you can share?

327243_0.jpg?1568951401

I do not know the back story. Knowing Greg's work, it is probably a bargain. Will it fly below the radar?

I made some early bids on several items. Almost all have been topped and I feel no need to chase them to above market prices.

Sill (I think) have the top bid on 3 items. Inc a Fuchs 4 x 12. A relative bargain IF it holds. Damn.....What was I thinking?

3 minutes ago, django49 said:

I do not know the back story. Knowing Greg's work, it is probably a bargain. Will it fly below the radar?

I made some early bids on several items. Almost all have been topped and I feel no need to chase them to above market prices.

Sill (I think) have the top bid on 3 items. Inc a Fuchs 4 x 12. A relative bargain IF it holds. Damn.....What was I thinking?

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/so-i-built-myself-a-gold-top.304995/

The Ian Anderson's sure aren't going cheap! $22K for the main one! The Milkman Sound amps didn't end up being bargains, either. Everything I was interested in is going for much more than I expected, not that I thought I'd score any great deals, but these buyers have very deep pockets (shocking, I know).

I've been watching this auction for a portion of the day - seems like most guitars don't go below $1,500-2000 - even some I considered not of high value.  I was really surprised on how much some went for.  There are many people in this auction with deep pockets, and this is just chump change for them.  

Just started watching. Julien's site kinda sucks, and it's slow. But yeah, the guitars are bringing the bigger bucks. I can't believe some retards outbid my generous $750 for the Huber Redwood. 🤬 🤑

Should be interesting to see what the 3 Hamers bring.

Mind blown. A Fender Duo-Sonic, exactly like my first "decent" guitar went for $10k, plus the $2800 in fees. I think I got it used, about 1968, for $65. Sold it to a bandmate for, probably $10 OR $20 more a year or two later.

I am fine with having NOTHING shipped to me.

ETA.....I also tossed out some bids on that Redwood. That model, esp with the korina body and neck, is incredible. But with a final price nearing $6k with fees and shipping, just WAY above "market". FWIW, I picked up mine, from a store, last year for something like $4400. Mint, a wee bit fancier. No regrets, as it is one of my two favorites of all time.

57 minutes ago, django49 said:

I am fine with having NOTHING shipped to me.

Concur. Though I kept looking until they stopped for the day. There's a few things of interest tomorrow, but I doubt any will end up here.

Some stuff just went at weird prices, too. This thing went for $4k, as much as one of his R9's.

spacer.png

Add in the rape-rate premiums and it's over $5k. They are probably not giving any great deals on shipping, either.

Still interesting to watch.

Wow, things really ARE going for a lot more than I expected. Maybe these are all the people who couldn't get anything from the Gilmour auction, looking for some really nice famous person owned guitars? Most of these really were only valuable as what they were, not because of what they were used on.

Looks like someone paid  $1250 for a HONDO H-700. That's probably the most expensive Hondo ever sold.

13 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

The Duo-Sonic that went for a five figure amount surprised me.  Even if it was used in an album cover design, those guitars are not much to begin with.  I had a 1957 Duo-Sonic once.  It was one of those guitars you graduate from, not to

And the amazing thing......The one I mentioned at $10k ($12.8k really) looked to be in great shape. The one that was famous for the album, cover looks very "rock and roll" with the finish stripped off, etc. It went for $47,500 (!!) which really means over $60k with fees added. Maybe another $5-6k if sales taxes are added.

I reckon that will either be very costly "wall art" for someone. Or maybe end up on the wall at Hard Rock Cafe or the like.

More evidence that this is not my kind of game.......

One of the Hahn's went for $55k. :blink:

Someone just got a deal. A Z-Wreck and a Prescription for $2500.

spacer.png

Then a Carmen Ghia right after it went for $15,000. 🙄 But it had 'Steely Dan' stenciled on the road case. :facepalm:

spacer.png

Fuchs 412 for $250. Damn! Will cost more in shipping.

Greg's gold top went for $3k.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, joshoowah said:

The Ian Anderson's sure aren't going cheap! $22K for the main one! The Milkman Sound amps didn't end up being bargains, either. Everything I was interested in is going for much more than I expected, not that I thought I'd score any great deals, but these buyers have very deep pockets (shocking, I know).

I'll let mine go for less than that...

e9CQRGq.jpg

Archived