Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Walter Becker Estate Sale

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dodged a bullet....Put in a minimal bid ($200) on that Fuchs 4 x 12 a week or so ago. Don't know what I was thinking. I KNOW it would sound great with my Fuchs head, but I do not need more speakers, let alone something that big and heavy. Luckily there was one more bid.....

Meanwhile the full PA system just walked outta here......My wife is loving the extra space that opened up in the old rehearsal space AKA her treadmill workout space.

4 hours ago, hamertek98 said:

Still probably the best deal in the auction, even after the fees.

Adding $2,240 in buyer's premium and processing fees plus $800 in potential sales tax  and $3-500 in shipping is a big hit, but compared to the "celebrity surcharge" added to other items, the buyer(s) did pretty well on these.

I was hoping the Bogner cabinet and road case would slide by under the radar, but my $300 bid was quickly obliterated.  Ended at $1,600 plus fees.

38 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Adding $2,240 in buyer's premium and processing fees plus $800 in potential sales tax  and $3-500 in shipping is a big hit, but compared to the "celebrity surcharge" added to other items, the buyer(s) did pretty well on these.

I was hoping the Bogner cabinet and road case would slide by under the radar, but my $300 bid was quickly obliterated.  Ended at $1,600 plus fees.

I have a buddy with a couple of the Bogner cabs.  You go to Ace Hardware and gets some stencils and white spray paint....

Just sayin'...

8 minutes ago, ghamerinfrance said:

And now....Olivia Newton John...

Good music and I guess a nice person....

I just might bid on one of her shredder guitars.

14 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

So, $8k.  One more $k than he paid.

Actually, they came to $10,240, plus $2560 (25%) plus $307.20 (3%) if they bid online, plus tax if they are in NY or CA, plus shipping, so minimum $13,107.20 for the three of them. Not a bargain.

18 minutes ago, joshoowah said:

Actually, they came to $10,240, plus $2560 (25%) plus $307.20 (3%) if they bid online, plus tax if they are in NY or CA, plus shipping, so minimum $13,107.20 for the three of them. Not a bargain.

I have it on (reportedly) good authority that the shipping costs are going to come as a serious shock to a lot of people.....Well above what we have become used to from FedEx and their ilk.

6 hours ago, joshoowah said:

Prices quoted here are normally devoid of taxes and shipping, unless shipping is included as a deal sweetener, but everyone knows they need to be accounted for in order to reach the all-in damage total (taxes normally if the seller is a business entity, not a private party).  There is a lot of discussion here about how the shipping carriers' prices have gone up, but that's usually the end of shipping charges, unless someone has FedEx office or the like do the packing, for which there is an extra charge (and apparently the Becker auction bidders are going to see something impressive in this category).  What I haven't seen here, or attempted myself, is a 25% customer fee.

Well, I am glad to see that the Platzer, Hamer, and B-Way guitars performed well at auction.  Kinda surprised that the prototype Sadowsky didn't do better, but I guess it wasn't as good looking as the others, which exceeded their estimates, some by quite a bit.

20 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

I was off on the fees in my mind. Lol. But still, some great one off’s.

• 2 weeks later...

Becker’s widow had offered upstate New York guitar maker Chihoe Hahn any guitar from the collection, and Hahn nearly chose a green Strat-style guitar that he had sold to Becker in 2011.

So.. which guitar DID he choose?

I was pretty psyched for this auction, I have wanted a partscaster for some time, figured I could get one.  I saw someone post some info about the 25% fee, and the expected shipping costs, so I figured I would keep that in mind when I bid.  So I bid on  3 guitars, the week of the auction, I was outbid, I raised my bid, and was outbid again, tried one more time, and was outbid again.  I just decided to pass after that.  I was shocked to see the guitars I bid on went for over $1500.00 each.  Oh well

On 10/20/2019 at 8:38 AM, BadgerDave said:

I didn't pay much attention to this beyond the eye candy, since it was all pretty much "wish book" stuff for me but, Dave....25% buyer premium?  That's borderline ridiculous.

1 hour ago, tomteriffic said:

I didn't pay much attention to this beyond the eye candy, since it was all pretty much "wish book" stuff for me but, Dave....25% buyer premium?  That's borderline ridiculous.

25% buyer's premium plus a 3% transaction fee!

2 hours ago, tomteriffic said:

Nothing borderline about it! They made over $750K just from that (25%) charge, $100K from the 3% charge, and probably doubled it all gouging on shipping and handling fees! I wonder what they took from the seller's side?

1 minute ago, gtrdaddy said:

A lot of that stuff seems to have sold for four and five times it's actual value. Crazy. It was Walter Becker's stuff, not Hendrix's.

Exactly! I expected some ridiculous numbers at the Gilmour auction, especially for the top items, but these were mostly case queens/forgotten in his collection, and they were fetching numbers you'd expect from something from a famous concert or recording, and (I'm ready for the beating) a more iconic artist. I love SD, but...

Archived