Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
jim777

PSA: Walter Becker Estate Sale

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

This set of 3 purple-coloured Hamer's was custom ordered by one of the HFC-members, if I am not mistaken, probably via BCR-Greg.

I think he has been one of the moderators of this forum

Stupid enough I forgot the (nick)name.

One of the Matthes-brother will know.

 

Gabe 😃

Wow, you’re right:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burningyen said:

Wow, you’re right:

 

I knew it, Kilroy was here!

😎

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RobB said:

Interesting. I wonder how they ended up in Becker’s hands?

At the end of the thread I linked to, Kilroy put them back up for sale thru BCR in 2015. I'm guessing that's when Walter snapped them up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ua D said:

God I hate these blurry photos.   

19 hours ago, burningyen said:

Wow, you’re right:

 

 

Here is a link to better pics from the BCR FB page.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 5:01 PM, Gabe said:

This set of 3 purple-coloured Hamer's was custom ordered by one of the HFC-members, if I am not mistaken, probably via BCR-Greg.

I think he has been one of the moderators of this forum

Stupid enough I forgot the (nick)name.

One of the Matthes-brother will know.

 

Gabe 😃

Yes.

i was at BCR ordering my Standard bass when they came in.

All beautiful guitars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some cool stuff in that pile!! 

I even am thinking!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, burningyen said:

Wow, you’re right:

 

I never understood if he was a collector/trader only, or actually a guitar player. But he sure bought and sold a lot of fancy Hamer's her on the HFC. Those three were a custom order. Don't think he hardly ever played 'em before he sold them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Disturber said:

I never understood if he was a collector/trader only, or actually a guitar player. But he sure bought and sold a lot of fancy Hamer's her on the HFC. Those three were a custom order. Don't think he hardly ever played 'em before he sold them. 

There are a lot of people that fit this description around.  I went to try out a 50 watt Marshall amp at guy's apartment over top his father's HVAC business once, he had at least 75 NOS Les Pauls on stands everywhere, to the point were walking was almost impossible, he could play maybe three chords.  He was selling his only amp to buy another Les Paul to stare at.  

  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

He was selling his only amp to buy another Les Paul to stare at.  

At that point, I'd call it More Paul.  😀

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I went to try out a 50 watt Marshall amp at guy's apartment over top his father's HVAC business once, he had at least 75 NOS Les Pauls on stands everywhere, to the point were walking was almost impossible, he could play maybe three chords.  He was selling his only amp to buy another Les Paul to stare at. " 9Pr1pu0.jpg

  •  
Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going through the list again and am just awed by the size of his collection.    Not a one in, one out guy.   How many lap steels could he possibly have needed.

I out some things on a watch list, although I will have no time on the Saturday auction day to watch.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lap steels are something you collect like baseball cards. 

There is an Epiphone lap steel in that auction that is listed as being from the 40's.  If I remember correctly, it should be from 1938.  The three knob version only existed that year.  I had one like that, and sort of want it back... to stare at. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how he stored all that stuff.

Some really nice old amps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last day before the big game.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you mean.  The on-line auction begins on October 18.

Is there a deadline for on-line bids?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several things there I would love to own. Placed bids on a bunch of items. Already outbid on at least half of them....with a week and a half to go. To be honest, I very much doubt that I will win a single one. But I can dream.....I have no idea what sort of premium might be attached to him having owned select gear. I DO have a pretty good idea that the premium to me is just about zero.

But WTF, I still know a few folks in BH (some of whom I used to jam with or play with at charity fund raisers). If I DO "win" something, perhaps they can pick it up and hold it for me.

Not holding my breath......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some things I would be interested in bidding on, but I'm worried about the cost of shipping with the heavier, bigger items.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a Julien's Live app for Apple but not Android.   I have a droid phone but an iPad.  I have been outbid on just about everything and don't intend to bid again until the live auction. I have never done a live on-line auction, but my son has and I will have to talk to him about this  I imagine with the number of items (2000?) that this will go quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pieman said:

There's a Julien's Live app for Apple but not Android.   I have a droid phone but an iPad.  I have been outbid on just about everything and don't intend to bid again until the live auction. I have never done a live on-line auction, but my son has and I will have to talk to him about this  I imagine with the number of items (2000?) that this will go quickly.

Yeah, I was scratching my head as to how they could auction all 1,090 items in 2 days. They would have to spend at most 1-2 minutes on each item, which is an insane pace for a live auction. Then I read the fine print, which says that some items may not be auctioned live in the room. So I'm assuming some items will only be auctioned online. It'll still be a madhouse if all online items close at the same time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, django49 said:

Several things there I would love to own. Placed bids on a bunch of items. Already outbid on at least half of them....with a week and a half to go. To be honest, I very much doubt that I will win a single one. But I can dream.....I have no idea what sort of premium might be attached to him having owned select gear. I DO have a pretty good idea that the premium to me is just about zero.

But WTF, I still know a few folks in BH (some of whom I used to jam with or play with at charity fund raisers). If I DO "win" something, perhaps they can pick it up and hold it for me.

Not holding my breath......

I know what you mean. I'm holding off on bidding until auction day. If ebay has taught me one thing, it's that if you give people time to think about it, they'll often talk themselves into spending more money. I've got my eye on a handful of oddball things. Maybe they'll fly under the radar. As for the price markup for genuine rock-star sweat... as the tear jerking commercials would say: "Less than the price of a cup of coffee." 

Just throwing it out there: it might be worth some communication here if any of us win. Shipping costs are a bit rougher than they used to be. It might be cost effective to just do a road trip if a few people share fuel costs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...