Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sustain block Special “Juniorized”

No I don’t have one, but I want one. I guess I have GAS again. 

Ive seen in the past where people have taken beat up or modified sustain block Specials and have turned them into Juniors. Anybody selling one of those?  I don’t feel like taking on a project but i’d buy a finished one. 

Bueller...Bueller...is this thing on??

Well, I've seen at least two of these on this board, one very recently (but I can't find the thread now)...so I know they exist, perhaps nobody wants to part with one.

I'd settle for a beater or project sustain block Special.  I honestly can't bring myself to modify one that is worth preserving.  I just want to fill the neck pickup hole and refinish in a solid color.  I don't even want the original bridge pickup, I have a different pickup in mind.

So again, if anyone has a project Special that they want to part with, I'm looking...

I like the way you think. I’ve often thought of converting a special into a junior at times as well. Good luck in your search. 

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

I like the way you think. I’ve often thought of converting a special into a junior at times as well. Good luck in your search. 

I just wish I could find one to start the project with.  15 years ago I was buying and selling these things for $500 bucks.  Now a decent one is pushing 2 grand and beaters with whammy's on them are almost a grand.  

BTW, you don't meet too many people from Oswego!  I have family there, will be there for Xmas...

20 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Rich F did the same too!

Yes he did and if I could put RichF's and Len's together that would be it.  I like the bright non-bound solid color of RichF's, but I like the sustain block and the single volume control of Len's.  The only question is do I want one bad enough to mess up a perfectly good (and expensive) sustain block Special.  I guess I could get a Kahler-ized one and convert it but even those are expensive and finding a sustain block bridge is like finding hen's teeth.

Special_jr_1.jpg

59 minutes ago, jginsj said:

BTW, you don't meet too many people from Oswego!  I have family there, will be there for Xmas...

Cool!  Let me know if you want to grab a beer when you’re in town. 

Don’t know how much you’re wanting to spend. But this one satisfies a few criteria. It’s kahlerized with replacement pickups. Would be a great candidate for a fill job and refin. 

No affiliation...

https://reverb.com/item/19499698-1980-hamer-usa-special

I know it’s not the same, but I’ve been really happy with my precision guitar kit les Paul dc jr/special.  You can customize what you want and it’s made of quality wood.  They’re made in British Columbia not overseas.   You’d just need to source a sustain block bridge.  For my next one I’m gonna ask if they’ll move the whole neck/fretboard and bridge placement more into the body like a hamer  instead of a Gibson  

CC09FD3E-A84E-4D28-A892-0C4B64EFE12A.jpeg

And i am not pushing the sale here. Sorry if seems so. I am thinking i could have a cool junior, to heck with the lack of interest!  And an extra pickup lying about. 

Though a p90 would be more my thing in this situation. 

Hmmmmm.....

what would it cost to do it and refinish it?  Any guess?

2 hours ago, stedge said:

You know, noone seems interested in my graphic special that i have listed for sale. Might be a cool junior.....

2 hours ago, stedge said:

And i am not pushing the sale here. Sorry if seems so. I am thinking i could have a cool junior, to heck with the lack of interest!  And an extra pickup lying about. 

Though a p90 would be more my thing in this situation. 

Hmmmmm.....

what would it cost to do it and refinish it?  Any guess?

Someone save that guitar.  🤣

19 hours ago, stedge said:

You know, noone seems interested in my graphic special that i have listed for sale. Might be a cool junior.....

I'm one button-push away from talking to you about that one but it would be pretty painful to modify and refin that thing, it's pretty cool and a part of Hamer history as it is (assuming that's a factory graphic finish?)

Archived