Hamer Fan Club Message Center

• 2 weeks later...

Any particular reason the Californians command such higher prices over the other Hamer superstrat models?  I remember not even having seen one in my nearest quality guitar shop until 1992 and was surprised to discover later that they'd been around during the '80s.  That shop hadn't directly said it but the inference was there that it was a new Hamer model with the Blues Saraceno-endorsed SD 'Parallel Axis' pickups.  I'm only remembering that now because the one they had on display was the same colour.

9 hours ago, Mr. Dave said:

Any particular reason the Californians command such higher prices over the other Hamer superstrat models?  I remember not even having seen one in my nearest quality guitar shop until 1992 and was surprised to discover later that they'd been around during the '80s.  That shop hadn't directly said it but the inference was there that it was a new Hamer model with the Blues Saraceno-endorsed SD 'Parallel Axis' pickups.  I'm only remembering that now because the one they had on display was the same colour.

They don't sound better but they feel a LOT faster than a comparable Chap due to their smaller body and scalloped access for the higher register.  Aesthetically they are a lot more desirable and above all this is why they command more money. To me one of the great original Hamer designs.  

Shame I never got to try one out.  That shop I went in had a Hamer-themed display very close to the main entrance so you couldn't miss it when you walked in, with the Green Cali, a couple of archtops and another superstrat model, I think maybe they'd just become a Hamer stockist but everything on the display get-up was 'Don't Touch'.   I'd have loved to have tried out a Custom Chap too.  Pity they painted the necks on the set neck models instead of a lacquer or an oil finish.  I'd seriously thought about removing the paint from my chap's neck but it would likely affect it's value.

Archived