Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Need help with LED lighting.

hamerhead

Question

I have 8 of these: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/venue-thinpar64-10-mm-led-lightweight-par-light

and need a controller.

What am I looking for?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Saw that and PM'd Kurt, just wasn't sure if that would work with these lights. I know very little about this stuff except that sometimes LED lighting isn't compatible with older electronics. And I hate burning shit up.

They’ll work. Just plug them in and set the controller. It’s pretty simple. The controller sends a low voltage signal to the power packs which respond with the proper AC voltage to the lights.  

20 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

They’ll work. Just plug them in and set the controller. It’s pretty simple. The controller sends a low voltage signal to the power packs which respond with the proper AC voltage to the lights.  

Do NOT use dimmer packs - not with fixtures like these. Dimmer packs are only for conventional (incandescent) fixtures where the brightness is controlled by the applied AC voltage.

LED fixtures like the Venue Thinpar64 should be connected to constant line voltage, then the intensity and color are controlled by DMX. They also have built-in presets to allow them to be used with no controller.

There are DMX controllers in every imaginable configuration and price range, from simple and inexpensive to really complicated and expensive. There's also software-based lighting control, although you'll need USB-to-DMX hardware.

Just don't plug those Venue Thinpar64s into dimmer packs.

1 hour ago, Dana_V said:

Do NOT use dimmer packs - not with fixtures like these. Dimmer packs are only for conventional (incandescent) fixtures where the brightness is controlled by the applied AC voltage.

LED fixtures like the Venue Thinpar64 should be connected to constant line voltage, then the intensity and color are controlled by DMX. They also have built-in presets to allow them to be used with no controller.

There are DMX controllers in every imaginable configuration and price range, from simple and inexpensive to really complicated and expensive. There's also software-based lighting control, although you'll need USB-to-DMX hardware.

Just don't plug those Venue Thinpar64s into dimmer packs.

Thank You for the clarification!!! I was thinking par cans!! Glad you set things right and I stand corrected!!

Archived