Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A Cure for ASS?

JGale

Hello.

My nom de plume is galejt.

I have (A)mp aqui(S)ition (S)yndrom.

I think I may have found the cure.

ElMonstero.jpg

Think of it as a gorgeous Fendery clean, surrounded by every stomp box ever.

Not all solid state. The vavulator uses a Made in Great Britain Mullard 12AX7 that enbiggens and enroundens the signal greatly. PLus it's another detail to diddle with!

I like the Celestion 70/80 speaker in the Power Engine better than the original stock TM60 or the EHX suggested replacement.

Nice!

Once upon a time I had over 50 boutique and vintage amplifiers, wired to soundprooof bunkers in my basement.  They sounded great, but required a lot of space and maintainence.  Then one day I discover the Axe Fx through a friend and am ampless for almost a decade now.  It may not be perfect, but rarely were the amplifiers in a situation where they were either, so I've lost nothing.   

9 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

Then one day I discover the Axe Fx through a friend and am ampless for almost a decade now. 

Amp-less? Zero amps? That's one less than me, and I didn't know that was even possible.

43 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Amp-less? Zero amps? That's one less than me, and I didn't know that was even possible.

It's true, I even sold my Friedman SS100, one of the first ten made.  

Tube amps can sound great, if in the proper situation, where you can open them up, have the correct mic pres on them, etc.   The circumstances for all the variables to align are few and far between, where as the Axe is consistent every time, not to mention the flexibility factor.   

On 9/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, JGale said:

Hello.

My nom de plume is galejt.

I have (A)mp aqui(S)ition (S)yndrom.

I think I may have found the cure.

ElMonstero.jpg

Think of it as a gorgeous Fendery clean, surrounded by every stomp box ever.

Not all solid state. The vavulator uses a Made in Great Britain Mullard 12AX7 that enbiggens and enroundens the signal greatly. PLus it's another detail to diddle with!

I like the Celestion 70/80 speaker in the Power Engine better than the original stock TM60 or the EHX suggested replacement.

Nice!

I actually like this type of mono rack set up with a preamp, multi-effects, and a mono powered speaker than the Line 6 Helix or Fractal Audio AX-8/FRFR powered speaker cab that's currently on the market. I find the preamp tones from a good quality guitar preamp is much more realistic with better tone than the amp & cab modeling/IR that's on the market. It's a matter of personal opinion, taste, and whether you want to move around that amount of gear or not. If that was my set up, I would use my Fractal Audio FX-8 and ADA Depot 3TM mod MP-1 preamp into the Tech 21 Power Engine 60 powered speaker, eliminate the Barber Tone Press compressor, and use the FX-8 for effects pre & post amp and as a MIDI controller. Looking at your set up, you gave me an idea for another guitar rig set up!

Guitar George

On 9/26/2019 at 2:54 PM, geoff_hartwell said:

It’s a perfectly cromulent word.

Seems like a really cool setup! What are you using for a foot controller for the TC? Do you have individual fx controls, or patch up and down?

Thanks Geoff. This will be my first foray into MIDI. It frightens me. DIgital I understand. Midi is voodoo.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, HAMERMAN said:

Never saw a red PSA-1 before - I like that so much better than the silver.

Alas and alak, the red one is on loan while my guitar instructor moves his studio. I replaced it last night with a silver one fresh off Reverb. Sonically, no difference that I can tell. Red is supposedly rare and adds $100 to the price. The 1.1 versions have an off-on switch and more storage positions. Never encountered one.

There is another up right now. $300 shipped. (No affiliation). I paid $288 for mine. 1/4" balanced loop. XLR out to the Power Engine. You can daisy chain Power Engines from there. Nice.

Cool setup and something to ponder, perhaps as a backup rig.

As for "embiggens"; yes, that's the wonderful thing about the English language. Lots of rarely-uttered words that lend just the right connotation to a phrase. Admittedly, when I first read it, my brain triggered the memory of "M.R. Biggins", a fictional wings joint (a la Hooters) that would crop up periodically during sketches on a local morning radio show. 

Archived