Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I always get choked up...or perhaps even weep...whenever I listen to----

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad passed away five years ago. Ever since then, I can't hear O Holy Night without thinking of the time he got to sing it solo during midnight Mass one Christmas. Get's me every time.

I Am A Rock by Simon & Garfunkel. I used the lyrics as my sister's eulogy three years ago. She was the rock for all of her many girlfriends but she hurt as much or more than any of them.

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

The next time one of you guys weeps while listening to music, please capture it on video.

And remember: landscape orientation.

Since this would be a video selfie, wouldn't portrait orientation be more appropriate? Unless, of course, you want to see the backdrop of his seedy room, which may reveal why he's weeping.

5 hours ago, murkat said:

Johnny Cash, Hurt.

Takes me to "that place" every single time.

The video for that is awesome as well.

Jeebuz - there's a lot of snark, even for HFC. I get it. 

I crashed a couple of years ago (JackC and HHB know some of the story) but recovered. Somewhere in that state/moment Someone Saved My Life Tonight became a fact in my life. It was benign at first then overwhelmed me. Nostalgia was passed by my condition. That's when it happened for me. There is so much music to change my mood ~ In a good way. Bowie's Sound And Vision comes to mind...  But it makes me smile, want to play guitar, dance, check on an old friend, etc.

So, for my snark, I honestly didn't know there were lyrics to Down To The Waterline. I guess I am one of those souls that wait for the solo over the singing. I'm sure there's some Richard Thompson song somewhere that would rip my heart.

Steve 

Hard to believe that we're now three pages into this thread, and not one person has mentioned this dirge, which was written in D minor, the saddest of all keys. 

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

Instant goosebumps when I hear the opening riff, which last until those killer crunch riffs kick in and then my eyes start watering. It's a conditioned response at this point in my life. Happens with the cello guys' version, and with the bluegrass version too. I can't think of another song that has such a visceral reaction on me. 

I just played the song at high volume to make sure. Yup, still works.

As the O.P., I'm curious as to why this thread got cranked back up after being in stasis for about ten months. Johnny B's 'kickoff ' for the second run is well-stated and meaningful, but one wonders if the lockdown has made any folks more open, personality-wise, since they're restricted/less socially active and/or are having to adjust when it comes to personal movement....and I bet a lot of us didn't figure we'd still be staying safe by now...

Nah. Folks are bored...

9 hours ago, BruceM said:

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

Instant goosebumps when I hear the opening riff, which last until those killer crunch riffs kick in and then my eyes start watering.

...and clearly drinking too much cough syrup. 

OF all the things...

I just inherited two Bacon & Day tenor banjos LY. They are beautiful gold and silver but I'm not ready to test that theory. Plus, I ain't no David Lindley.

Edit ! Would have preferred the Browning Sweet -16 and the belgium browning shotguns.

I literally come to tears sometimes when i hear The Animals' "We Gotta Get Out of This Place." That was our theme song in Vietnam, and I still feel a flood of memories, good and bad, when hear it almost 50 years after leaving there. That was always the last song Filipino bands would play at the base EM club in Da Nang. I can close my eyes and see a bunch of 19-year-olds drunkenly singing along. I still know all the words. Sometimes I think youth is wasted on young people, but I know that's not true.

The Animals were my favorite original British Invasion band. They were grittier, had a blue collar attitude and played riffs and licks that an untold number of would-be players tried to copy on their Silvertone amp-in-the-case guitars.

Heard back in the day about the connection of "We Gotta Get Out of This Place" to 'Nam. Over half a century later, it's meaningful to note the validation by someone who was there. Thanks for your service.

2 hours ago, mudshark said:

I literally come to tears sometimes when i hear The Animals' "We Gotta Get Out of This Place." That was our theme song in Vietnam, and I still feel a flood of memories, good and bad, when hear it almost 50 years after leaving there. That was always the last song Filipino bands would play at the base EM club in Da Nang. I can close my eyes and see bunch of 19-year-olds drunkenly singing along. I still know all the words. Sometimes I think youth is wasted on young people, but I know that's not true.

Not ANYTHING as meaningful as 'Nam, but our employee band got a great kick out of playing that at City functions and various fundraisers. Sort of our master plan.....Dan and I were sometimes co-leaders. He and I (and his wife) all did pull the plug on the same day....Man alive, that was FIFTEEN years ago!

I guess I more chuckle than weep, though.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Rockola said:

OF all the things...

I just inherited two Bacon & Day tenor banjos LY. They are beautiful gold and silver but I'm not ready to test that theory. Plus, I ain't no David Lindley.

I just bought a Deering Goodtime tenor banjo in the last couple of weeks.  If anyone else here ends up with a tenor banjo it will be a sign of the apocalypse. 

Archived