Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I always get choked up...or perhaps even weep...whenever I listen to----

A while back there was a thread hereon about majestic/meaningful guitar passages. Unsure what's ever been placed here about songs (including selected verses, if they have lyrics) that "get" to you in a big emotional way...and why. The selections and reasons would be unique to compare, but of course some info would be personal. Here's some of my own choices.

1. Last verse of "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel. Timeless paean to determination and resilience. Got even more important after 9/11; Paul SImon sang it on the first show of "Saturday Night Live following that calamity.

2. "Keep On the Sunny Side"---Alison Krause on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's 50th anniversary live album, recorded at the Ryman. As pure as it gets. John Prine's "Grandpa Was a Carpenter" on the same album probably also moved a lot of folks as well.

3. "Eric's Theme": Vangelis, Chariots of Fire soundtrack. Enthralling. That movie came along when I really, really needed that kind of inspiration.

4: "The Finals": Jerry Goldsmith, Hoosiers soundtrack. You don't have to be watching the movie to be caught up in the way this  extended track builds up to when Jimmy Chitwood sinks the winning basket at the 6:41 mark. Arguably the best sports movie of all time.

These are just stream-of-consciousness quick selections; will post more if and when I think of 'em.

Others?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, Disturbed’s cover of Simon & Garfunkel’s “the sound of silence” brings me to tears every time. Have no idea why. The original never had that effect. 

Maybe because it’s in D minor, which is the saddest of all keys....

"You'll be in My Heart" - Phil Collins - Disney's Tarzan soundtrack. I'm a wuss, I know. The movie came out just after my Dad died. We were watching it (my kids were still little then) and when that song came on, I almost lost it. Still gets me 20 years later. 

22 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

"You'll be in My Heart" - Phil Collins - Disney's Tarzan soundtrack. I'm a wuss, I know. The movie came out just after my Dad died. We were watching it (my kids were still little then) and when that song came on, I almost lost it. Still gets me 20 years later. 

The Living Years gets me too.  Your no "wuss".  Just a man with a heart.  Doesn't mean you won't punch somebody in the face, if they are deserving of a proper beating.

1) https://youtu.be/hVx5zdHuoAc

"Cursed Diamond" from "Amorica" by The Black Crowes. The whole song, but the last verse destroys me. As someone who has struggled with severe depression for my entire life, this is so, so familiar, it felt like my own words the first time I heard it 25 years ago.

"Well, I hate myself,

Doesn't everybody hate themselves,

I scare myself

It's alright 'cause I tell myself that it's all in my mind

So I let the poison go

'Cause, baby, I always know

It'll be there for me"

Been There. I'm a regular. That inner dialogue/debate is spot-on. Chris Robinson really strikes a nerve with that one.

2) The Beatles' "Something" - has there ever been a better love song?

3) "I Will" - damn close to #2...

4) "I Never Loved a Man (the way I love you)" - Aretha Franklin. Like Alicia Keys says in "Muscle Shoals," it's just one of THOSE songs.

5) Jeff Buckley's album version (live single take) of "Hallelujah." Everyone needs to leave that song alone. They'll never top it.

"Under Pressure" gets me sometimes. But the my ultimate tear jerker song is "Cats in the Cradle", Harry Chapin. I lost my little brother Brian in July. Was only 42. I can't imagine how my dad feels now if and when he hears this song.

-Bobby

'Missing' and 'La Petit Filli De La Mer' by Vangelis partly because of some specific times they remind me of as well as the music itself, also 'Miserere Mei, Deus' by Gregorio Allegri.  I'd mentioned the Allegri piece in the 'What's Spinnin' thread just recently as I'd been listening to a CD collection of choral works it's included on. 'Miserere' can provoke a whole range of emotions in me, it's a truly outstanding piece of music, especially considering it's vocal-only.  Until I'd recently read a comment about it on You Tube I hadn't realised that The Vatican had considered the piece either very holy or useful in some way and had guarded the manuscript for almost 130 years until Mozart heard it only twice whilst on a trip to Rome at the age of 14 and transcribed the whole thing accurately from memory, that's some feat.

Archived